?? for anyone who uses a serger..

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I've been watching TV/video sewing episodes that involve using a serger. (I do not have one personally, yet). What is the purpose for sewing such a long thread tail after the fabric seam is finished? Just about every show I've seen continues to run the machine at the end of the seam and leaves at least a 3-4" thread tail (or so it seems).
When we piece on a regular machine, we use leaders and ender scraps to cut down on thread waste, among other reasons. But a serger has 3-4 spools, and to sew long empty tails seems wasteful to me. I wouldn't think that a serger stitch would unravel, but since I've not used one, I'm not understanding the reason. I've been Googling, but not coming up with an explanation for why...

Thanks!

Thumbnail by Kizmo
This thread has 54 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!