Amaryllis Surprise

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I bought two very large amaryllis bulbs from my garden club bulb sale - planted them identically and gave one to my daughter in Maryland. Thought they would both be red - and mine bloomed pinkish orange! It's lovely, and now I am curious to see what color the Maryland bulb will bloom. It's about 2 weeks away from mine.

Thumbnail by Entlie
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Cool! Love surprises like that!
Barb

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Beautiful I love those flowers planted about 8 in the front flower garden this year

Lavina

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

When do they bloom outdoors Lavina? Happy New Year to all!

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Around June or July usually sometimes they will also rebloom in august n september

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

They bloom for me in April - May. I haven't had one re-bloom. Jealous!
Barb

Summerville, SC

That is a gorgeous bloom! Do you know the name of that amaryllis? Waiting for my "Ruby Stars" to open. Amaryllis sure to bring spring in winter!!!

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I don't know, but can probably find out.....Just had a second go-round on blooms - 5 of them! It's so tall, sitting on the counter it's taller than me.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Gardenspot107, it's called Rilona. I bought it through a landscaper friend who said in the catalog it looked more reddish. The second round of blooms is now finished, and there's another shoot starting up. It's been stunning entertainment since December. I've never tried to save an amaryllis, but I'd like to save this one as well as my daughter's. And I'm encouraging my friend to order more for our garden club sale in late fall.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Garden Club Sale did you say?
Hum is public invited?

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Actually, Lavina - there's a spring plant sale and a fall bulb sale. The fall bulb sale is sort of an order-from-the-list thing. My amaryllis bulb was huge, probably why I had such good luck with it. I've made a note to let you know when that happens.

The spring plant sale should be in late April. I'll let you know the date! There will be plant divisions from our own gardens, as well as some annuals, herbs, etc, and a raffle for something (last year it was a Japanese maple in a nice pot). Small sale but I think we have some nice stuff. Last year a member brought heirloom tomato seedlings - hope she does that again. It's probably pretty small as plant sales go, but we try to get some unusual offerings and keep our pricing low.

We use the money for an agricultural scholarship and a beautification project in the neighborhood. Would love to see you there!

Lynn

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Yes! The plant sale is open to the public! Here's the information:

The FHGC Spring Plant Sale will be Tuesday, April 29th in the Fairfield Harbour Community Center parking lot from 9 am – 12 noon (rain date will be Thursday, May 1st) .

Lavina, do you still have my phone number and email? Let me know if you're planning to come. Anyone else, too :)

Lynn

Summerville, SC

Amaryllis time is soon arriving in my front room! Yes it is almost time for the newly arriving amaryllis to take a spot in my pots and make the start of winter a bit brighter! Hope to see some beauties this year. Be sure to share if you have some new ones to show....I ordered "Best Seller" again this year. I hope it is as amazing as Lagoon was! We shall see what this winter 2014-2015 brings! Happy Fall Planting!

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Wow - "Best Seller" is beautiful!

I'm ready to cut the leaves off the two peach bulbs (which have been in a pot outdoors all summer) and bring them indoors. Following The Grumpy Gardener directions - hope it works out!

Entlie

Summerville, SC

Lots of luck to you for your blub forcing. This is a skill I am still trying to improve upon as I haven't quite hit the right timing and prep for each bulb. Some successes, some fizzles. That's a part of life and gardening, so they say! I am potting up the "Best Seller" bulb today as it has arrived in all its glory! [Large bulb] Happy bulb times!

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

And good luck to you as well. Mine are hanging out under the house for a couple months until they are allowed to come out again. Hoping for the best.
Entlie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.