ID tropical flowering tree?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

Put this in ID forum but thought I'd stick it here too. This is blooming now in Puerto Rico. It has a slight smell, lilac-grapish odor. Pod indicates it is some type of Fabaceae.

Thanks!

David

Thumbnail by popper1
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Ohh, pretty - grab some seeds!!!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

What were the leaves like? Be careful what you wish for Kay, those flowers look like Kudzu. LOL.

Have a wonderful holiday everyone.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Alice, I would love a start of Kudzu!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

It doesn't seem to grow down here on the coast so I don't think it would grow where you are either. Elsewhere in the state it swallows houses, roads, anything in its path is fair game for that thug.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Kudzu is the vine that ate the South. On another note, if you smell grape bubble gum while outdoors, then more than likely you are smelling the fragrance of the kudzu bloom. BTW the photo shown does not look like kudzu's blooms. You do not want kudzu in your yard or your neighbor's yard since it is hard to kill and grows a foot a day allegedly.

Two man made disasters are evident at Providence Canyon (nicknamed the Little Grand Canyon - very little) close to Columbus, GA. The first one was erosion - the canyon is all man made from farming methods back in the 1800's. The second disaster was planting kudzu to control the erosion.

http://gastateparks.org/ProvidenceCanyon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.