Seed Starting

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

After the early arrival of a very brutal summer last year, I've decided to get things going a little sooner this time around. So as soon as my seed order from TomatoFest arrives, I'm going to get them started instead of waiting until New Year's Day, like I normally do.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

so what did you order?

any new ones for you this coming year?

So where do you grow your seeds, do you have a greenhouse?

Best of luck with starting early this end of year.

I'm starting mine on the 1/1/14.

Jan

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Oh, good! You have some tomato seeds! Which ones do you have?

Evelyn

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a few from last year that I'll be giving another try. Previously they started out great then the landlord sprayed the yard and when I came home I found dead plants.

Jan

Yikes! That is awful! What guarantee do you have the he will not do it again?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

We moved.

Jan

Oh, that's good! Whew! That was awful!! So what tomato seed do you have left?

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Cactusman that's so strange, I'm NW of you and we had freezing weather into May....the few plants that I put out in April just sat there until the soil warmed up....we had a few hot spells but last year was the best garden I've had in yrs. One tomato that really stood out was Solar Flare. Tons of tomatoes with no problems.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

evelyn, I have about 2-3 seeds of each of the below. Hopefully I will get a few of them to grow.

Goose Creek
Bulgarian Old Sort
Liz Burt
Turkish Ayla
Sicilian Russo Togetta
Venetin Market Place
Dr. Carolyn
Striped German
Super Surprise Mix
Juane Flame
Black krim
Piennolo del vesuvio
Indian Stripe
Red Zebra
Dagma's Perfection
Baize's Cenl
Indigo Rose
Ananas Noir
Violet Jasper
Snowball
Oxheart
Cherokee Purple
Yellow Cherry
Pineapple
Bush Beefsteak
Starfire Improved

One thing that I'm starting to notice while trying to learn to grow tomatoes in FL is that the small, cherry size tomatoes do the best. The others are a shot in the dark as to whether they grow or die for me anyway.

Jan

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I ordered varieties they recommended for hot,humid climates. So this year I'm trying Homestead 24, Mortgage Lifter Red, Chocolate Stripes and Atkinson. They sent a free packet of Grape along , too.I've never grown that one. And of course, I always have to have Indian Stripe,Sun Gold, and Coyote. I got them all started in 3" pots today. I' ll have a fix on what seeds I'll have to give away in a few days after I've seen how well this planting does. I do have a small greenhouse, but the new plantings are inside on a heat mat until they germinate. Paul

This message was edited Dec 24, 2013 12:25 AM

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I so want to try Mortgage Lifter but when I was trying it up in OH the squirrels would get to them before I would. The little stinkers would pull it off and take a bite then leave it to let me know they had been there. Never got one off the vine. The plant never did that well for me, even through it was in sun all day. But I'm not going to give up on it.

Jan

That is quite a list, Jan! WOW! I hope they do well for you. Winter time is good tomato growing time for you, right? I talked with my son in FL and he told me the weather was warm.

You don't need more than a few of each seed to get a lot started and with that list, you should do well.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

We will see, with only a few seeds on each there isn't much room for failure.

Merry Christmas

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.