Help ID this please!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I got this at a box store where I work in the garden center. We normally get in Red Lion, Minerva and Apple Blossom. This one bloomed the other day and I KNEW it wasn't any of those. I bougtht it right away. ;)
Now I'd love to figure out which cultivar it is.
To me, it looks a lot like Improved Papillo.
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Looks almost like Charisma except yours is less red than Charisma. Another possibility is Apple Blossom?

How do you improve on papilio other than to get it to bloom? I think my papilio is over ten years old and bloomed maybe once but does it ever have the bulbs.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

It might be Cherry Crush, also called Opal Star or Ruby Star, sold by Easy to Grow Bulbs.
Papilio are notoriously difficult to get to rebloom. I've had no luck getting them to rebloom, planted outside for eight years.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

The reason I don't think it's Apple Blossom is the green in the petals.
It does look like Cherry Chrush.
I was hoping it might be papilo, but from what y'all say, maybe I don't!
Thanks,

Barb

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

So, I'm going to mark it either Cherry Crush or Charisma.
Theoretically, I'm going to remember to post here again next Spring when it blooms again and it shows it's colors properly.
Barb

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Try emaryllis. You might find it there.

http://www.emaryllis.com/photo-library/nggallery/thumbnails/

There are other possibilities.

Some growers dump "culls" on the market. These are bulbs that are "close" to matching a named cultivar but not quite perfect. The colors might be a bit off. There might be odd patches or streaks of colors that don't belong. This is most common with whites - they sometimes have pink streaks.

The amaryllis industry is notorious for mislabeled bulbs. The cheaper the bulb, the greater the risk of error.

“Big Box Stores” are the worse. One of my local lumber companies has a 80% error rate.

And there is no international governing body for standards – that I know of. Bulbs can be sold under a variety of names.

The bottom line is that you LIKE the flower. Does anything else really matter?

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Great site Wyckoff, thanks.
I completely agree, I love it, so the name isn't that important. That question mark on it's entry in my plant list will be a bit of a nag though. ;)
Barb

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

IDs can be flexible. My bulbs have numerous IDs.

The first indicates the source of the bulb. It’s a combination of the source and a sequence number. This stays in the bulb record forever and it’s part of how I know the error rate for various suppliers.

The second is assigned when the bulb blooms. If it blooms as advertised then the ID is a few letters to indicate the variety and a number to indicate 1st, 2nd or 3rd bulb that I have of the variety.

If the bulb does NOT bloom as advertised, then the ID generally starts with “MY” to indicate a Mystery bulb. Or it might get a generic ID such as GR for Generic Red. Or the bulb might be culled...

Offsets – which are true clones of the parent – get an ID based on the parent.

Seedlings are a whole ‘nother story. Generally I use the year, an abbreviation for my nursery and again, a sequence number that indicates the batch: 1st, 2nd, etc.

Since seeds almost never breed true, then identifying individual bloomers within a batch is a challenge. Many are culls. The color is good but the form is bad. Or the color is “mud”.

As a “wanna be” breeder I have tons of records on each bulb and batch. But that's how I know which bulbs are good breeders and which are mostly sterile. Or which can handle seed production and which are easily exhausted.

And – not surprisingly – I have a background working with data, lots and lots of data.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.