Glasshouse Works

Rochester, NY(Zone 5b)

Has anyone ordered from these guys in say the last 12 months? I have heard some bad reports about them over the years but I do see some positive on Dave's. Just wondering if they are worth considering in the spring. I could always try a small order and see what happens but I am curious about the recent experiences of others in the group. They have a nice selection of plants.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I quit using them years ago due to how long it took to receive an order - 3 to 4 months (two years in a row and they blamed a bad winter on their woes). Yes, they do have a large selection on their web site but often you will get substitutes. And other times you will get something that they say is X when it is really Y. Makes one wonder if this is A) because they don't really know what they have got or B) they are trying to pull the wool over one's eyes.

If you are just starting out in begonias I'd say give them a try because they do include a freebie and a bonus usually and you might be pleasantly surprised (but I seriously doubt it). If you are serious about begonias then I would put them on the bottom of your list of go to places.

Rochester, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks hcmcdole. I had the feeling that was the situation. I have several other good sources: just thought I would see if anything had changed. Their selections look so good from my "winter chair".

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I doubt I have much of anything I've ever bought from them except for a big begonia bought as crassicaulis. I had a feeling it wasn't and later on had it confirmed by experts on a different website that it wasn't crassicaulis. I finally found the name of this vigorous begonia - Bayberry Lane. I still have it after 15 years or more and almost impossible to kill and so easy to propagate. Here it is back in the middle of September.

Taylor's GH and Steve's Leaves are hard to beat. Logee's has some easy and some difficult ones as well. Michael's Fuchsias and Begonias has a very long list but the ordering may be awkward (I have not ordered from him - yet) since you place your order first and pay for the plants and then pay for shipping after you get the plants - no credit card or PayPal either. Kartuz, Rob's Violets, Lauray of Salisbury also have a decent list of plants but often have very small plants to start with. PHOE in Miami is a good place to visit but I've only ordered through the mail a couple of times from them - they often lose the order or ship slow too.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.