Suggestions for growing mediums

Perth, Australia(Zone 11)

Hi i'm very enthusiastic about carnivorous plants and have decided to start a few different types from seed. I have two types of pitchers, cobra lilly and of course Big mouth VFT seeds. Usually when i re-pot my VFT I use an equal parts mix of washed coir, silica sand and perlite, was told that i could use peat moss but because its used as soil conditioner I figure it must have a high nutrient level and could kill my VFT and my pitcher that needs to be re-potted. Alot of people say live sphagnum moss is as close to their natural habitat as it gets (apart from natural bog), however i still can't find a sore locally that sells it or have it shipped in because of quarantine. I'm hoping for some advice on what's best to use and if I can use the peat moss. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sarracenialy Jakometes

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

All you need is peat moss and Perlite. 50/50 mix. Do NOT use miracle products, they contain fertilizer which will kill your plants.

Coconut Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

just use high quality sphagnum moss (not peat). sphagnum (especially the fluffy premium type) is very resistant to fungal illnesses and damp off... if seeds are what you're doing it's the only way to go..... trust me on this.... if you're going to use peat moss, have lots of fungicide ready.....LOTS

Thumbnail by ryt2ber
Perth, Australia(Zone 11)

thanks I'm gonna go with sphagnum moss and perlite thanks for your help

noonamah, Australia

Bunnings usually have sphagnum.

Arlington, TX

I moved all my plants into pure LF sphagnum and I like it as a growing medium too. I think it might be an issue for VFT's but its so hot here and I think it keeps moist longer and moderates pot temps. Sarracenia seem to love it. I also started some Drosera seeds in it and it worked just great.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.