Dear Santa: bring me a Mammoth Long Red Mangel Wurzel

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well , this is my third Wurzel winter: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1056538/?hl=wurzel

I've changed the location yet again. However, this year I actually planned ahead and the seeds are now planted in a 24" tall plastic whiskey barrel planter. Good, loose garden soil.

I'm still dreaming of a beet throwing contest at one of our swaps!

Thumbnail by 2ndChance
Phoenix, AZ

You need to get it to grow for the name alone. When someone is over and asks "what's that?" It will be fun to tell them.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

the fun will be telling people that "I spent the whole morning tending to my Mammoth Long Red Mangel Wurzel.

Gilbert, AZ

Ah, to think I wasted my garden soil on plain old regular beets! Can you eat your Mammoth Long Red Mange Wurzels? They sound like they're about the size of sugar beets that are grown in Nebraska and Colorado, but they're not for eating of course (well, until the sugar is sprinkled on stuff!)!

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

If you read the package it says they are traditionally grown for feed and beet throwing contests.
But like true riff raff - I will be cooking what ever grows. Of course, I'll post photos.

Phoenix, AZ

True riff raff would throw them.

Dolan Springs, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love you two! Who needs tv?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

This message was edited Jan 10, 2014 7:59 PM

This message was edited Feb 13, 2014 11:09 PM

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I suspect we all own some kind of a helmet. We just need to replant whatever is growing in them and spackle closed the drainage holes. And we'll all need to sign waivers because we sure ain't buying no insurance for this event!

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wurzels have sprouted!

Mesa, AZ

Awesome!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.