Best Pickling Cucumber for the South (east Texas)

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

hi folks;
I just started making and canning bread and butter pickles. they were such a success, I made them twice and those are almost gone! :) I bought my cucumbers from a local farmers market, but it wasn't ideal since many were really larger and more mature than I would have liked to use. sooooo, I am planning on growing cucumbers this next season to be used for pickling! I am primarily a flower grower, although I do a pretty good job with tomatoes! I live in the high heat and humidity of east texas. any advice on varieties, seed starting, planting and care would be greatly appreciated!!

tracie

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Willhite has Calypso, Carolina, Homemade Pickles, National Pickling. All should do well in your area. The hybrids will be more disease resistant and productive. But the OP's will do well where disease is not a major problem. http://www.gardenguides.com/97510-tamu-vegetable-seeds-southeast-texas.html

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

thanks for the information!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

If you grow cukes to make pickles check on the Recipe forum with Darius. She has instructions for lacto ferments (dills) as well. I ferment dills and have made pickle relish, both sweet and sweet and hot, for our family for many years.

National Pickling is a great cuke. Calypso is very good too. What a great link for Texas growers, Farmerdill!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.