Bridgewater, ME

Just started here about and hour ago.Going to get 1-3 inches.Its time,its cold and everything is brown,needs a new blanket of white.Chickens won`t like it tomorrow will have to put straw down for their dainty feet or they won`t come out of the coop.LOL

Thumbnail by green04735
Richmond, TX

I love looking at pictures of other people's snow.

Bridgewater, ME

Brrrrrr it -5 here this morning,32 in the coop

Bridgewater, ME

-2 already and its only 7;30pm
Should have left the heat lamps on all day,instead turned them on at 3pm now its only 27 in the coop.I know they will be ok,its just me thinking they will be cold.I worry about the showgirls ,no feathers on the neck

Thumbnail by green04735
Richmond, TX

I keep insisting thy need little scarves...

Ferndale, WA

Hello Green, I sure have missed you and Porkpal, as well as Annie, and many others. Actually I came on to Wish all of you a Very Merry Christmas. Also a Prosperous New Year...Hay

Richmond, TX

Haystack! We've missed you! I hope you and yours are well and that you visit us often in the new year. Your humor and wisdom are invaluable. Merry Christmas!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Merry Christmas to you, Haystack, and to all you happy DG'ers!

Bridgewater, ME

Oh my goodness!Haystack! I have missed you something awful,welcome back.Tell us of your adventures and what you and the Mrs is up to.Was not the same here without you.Merry Christmas to you and all my chicken friends

Bridgewater, ME

-11 this morning and 17 in the coop.Calling for lots of snow starting tomorrow,they keep uping the amounts,now its up to 10 to 14 inches

Bridgewater, ME

Well the snow storm has started as of 6:45 this morning,we are going to get 10 to 14 inches,its light and fluffy and will be blowing around so it will be terrible for driving,waiting to see if they will cancel church,I know they will tonights service,thats to bad to cause its the childrens Christmas program.And its very cold only 2 degrees,most times when we have a storm like this its a lot warmer.Well, here are some pictures, will take more after storm .Notice the chicken wreath on the run,my daughter made that for me. Just got the phone call church is cancelled.wind is picking up not a good day to go anywhere

This message was edited Dec 15, 2013 9:50 AM

Thumbnail by green04735 Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

Got 15 inches of light fluffy snow.It was -14 this morning and 22 in the coop with heat lamps going.Be glad when we get out of this fridgid cold

(Zone 6b)

Oh my goodness! HAYSTACK!

Haystack these girls whined and cried for you for months. They missed their number one rooster. We all missed you.

Wow, Green, that is a beautiful SG. WOW.

You won't believe what I bought at the poultry show last weekend in Oklahoma. I told my daughter I went for "comedy" this time instead of beauty. She said, "Those are the ugliest birds I've ever seen!"

Bridgewater, ME

Were they showgirls? I hear that all the time

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Actually, I was rooting for Haystack to have a really, really good time in France. Come back reeking of garlic and good, cheap table wine. And a waxed chest (as all the Euro footballers wax their chest now, you know). Oh, and maybe some photos of French chickens. I remember someone gave me a pet Capon (I lived in France many years ago). I kept him in the yard and I remember how beautiful he was. He was as big as me! Me disappeared one day...

(Zone 6b)

These are birchen modern game chickens. haha Long legs, bantams, that look like they belong in a horror movie, black with silver markings. What got into me I wonder? I just thought how fun to look over in the yard and see them. They look very healthy and he said they are from good lines. He told me the lines and I wrote them down. Now, I'm wondering if they will even be safe in the yard with all the tom cats that hang around here. They are quite small. The man that sold them to me said they are seven months old, so they should be ready to lay some eggs soon. Maybe I should wait until I get some chicks before I let them out. How fun to see the baby chicks from them. lol Guess I'm counting my chickens before they hatch.

I've always liked some of these ugly chickens. I still want an O'Shamo! :D

Then I read that these modern games aren't supposed to be in temperatures lower than 35 degrees. Now, how am I going to do that? I'll have to bring them in the house or put them in the garage with a heater. I'm not too thrilled thinking about that.

We had record high temps today, in the 70s, and tonight a cold front is coming in. That means I don't have long to figure this out. Crazy weather!

(Zone 6b)

I'm sure we all wanted Haystack to have a good time and enjoy his life. I know I did, and still do, as I wish all of you the best as well.

(Zone 6b)

One naturopathic doctor here told my daughter and I that if we wanted to really be healthy we should move to Europe. They don't put up with all these chemicals in their food and water like we have in the US. They want their meat FRESH too. I mean fresh, like recently killed.

Maybe you can verify that, since you were there.

I would love to hear of your experiences.

Bridgewater, ME

I would love pictures and stories to

Bridgewater, ME

Snowing her again another 10 inches before its done. I have to share a story with you about my husband,he always buys 50/50 tickets at our granddaughters basketball games to help out the school.Well he won last night $16.00,BUT if you could get a basket form mid court you win $500.00,GUESS WHAT?? HE DID IT!!. You should have heard the screams,I was so excited I dropped my phone that was doing the video.Our granddaughter Jadeyn who is 15 didn`t see it,it was half time and they were in the locker room but she said she heard all the cheers thinking that someone had made the basket then she found out it was here Grampy.So today he called from the bank where he to go to pick up the check and wanted to know if he should have his picture taken of them handing him the check and I said YES,they want to put it in our local paper.You can tell how small our town is to want to do something like that,lol.I told him that will be a keeper picture to put in the granddaughters keep sake boxes.I wanted to post it on here but don`t know how to do a video.But if you go to hen haven on facebook you can watch it.Donna

Richmond, TX

Wow! Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

Bridgewater, ME

Same to you Porkpal

Bridgewater, ME

12 inches of snow by the time it winds down Monday morning,heavy snow all day Sunday

Bridgewater, ME

Tilley is wondering why the chickens have not been out in forever,still snowing here,might be a long while before they get out again.

Thumbnail by green04735
Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL! What a great photo! Thanks for posting. And congrats to you and your hubby on making the basket! Very cooolll!

(Zone 6b)

That really is amazing that he made that shot! Is he the first one to make it?

Nothing much going on here. We had three inches of snow and some cold days this past week. It was 50 degrees today so the snow is melting, and it is supposed to stay warm all week except for Sunday where it will be down to 35. Our weather has been all across the board. We've had record high temps and then were hit with that Arctic Blast that kept us below freezing for four or five days. CRAZY weather.

I don't mind the snow so much, but the freezing temps keeps the water frozen for the animals. That is quite disturbing. I just bought my little donkey, Lawrence, a small watering tank with a heater. I haven't set it up yet. I have an inverter and guess I can get one of my old batteries here charged up, or I might even have to buy a battery. I don't like to think of Lawrence being thirsty. He's so curious and mischievous I just hope he leaves the cord alone. I can put the inverter and battery on the other side of the wall out of his reach. Oh well, I won't really know until I try it I guess. Last night he got out of the gate, which was my fault really, and he was running around having a grand time kicking up his heels visiting his donkey and horse friends. He's such a sweety though he let me put the halter on him and with a bucket of chicken feed let me coax him back to his lot.

I was wondering the other day why God made the seasons like this, hot and cold, hot and cold, hot and cold, repeating itself over and over each and every year. :) Not sure why the repetition of it is bothering me, but maybe because I am getting older. Fifty-seven is getting up there a ways. Can't believe I am this old. Maybe the changing temperatures just keeps us from being bored as we are always facing a new challenge. First you have to make sure you are warm and your pipes don't freeze, then you have to make sure you are cool.

Speaking of cool, I suppose the reason you northerners have all the beautiful green plants and trees is that you get so much snow moisture. I really appreciate the beauty of your area and enjoy your pictures.

Bridgewater, ME

LFJ, no he is not the first,there were two others in the surrounding towns that done it that week.Our bank offers 5, $500.00 checks in the basketball season here in our county,basketball is a big thing here in Maine.I am not a sports fan,matter of a fact I hate all sports,but when your grandchildren play you have to be there for them.Cold here this morning 10 below 0.COME ON SPRING!!!

Bridgewater, ME

ITS OFFICAL! I HATE SNOW!! Its snowing again,just got done shoveling and snowblowing walk way and path to coop,shoveled one run,no sence in doing the other because another big storm is coming in Sunday and Monday.Had to make the paths wider so the bucket can get in to move snow.All the roof need shoveling off including the coops.Need to get the roof rake fixed.Hubby hates hights,so its hard for him to get on the roof and shovel it off,but has to be done so roof does not cave in,or leak.All this snow so ealy in the season is going to make for a veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy long winter,spring does not start here till May.And our mud season will be horrible with all the melting snow
. Have you heard enough?? I hate winter!! Now I have to go to my cleaning job after I take ibuphrophen for my neck from shoveling and snowblowing.

Richmond, TX

Well, perhaps the one bright spot is that you still have power?

Bridgewater, ME

Yes,thank you Lord for that

Bridgewater, ME

Snowing again,another 6 inches.Got the roof shoveled of yesterday,there was a lot on it.Husband says the coop are fine with all the snow on them,hope he is right.

Bridgewater, ME

Bought a new heater for my coop,it works great.We will see tonight what it can do,-32 for tonight and -14 all day tomorrow.It was -12 last night and the coop stayed 37.But the wind is blowing tonght and that will make a difference to.I also took a soda bottle and put holes in it and seed inside,the cohins drained it buy rolling it around the silkies don`t touch it.They all get bored having to stay in for days on end. I hung some cabbage from a string they all were scared of that.I have to say this heater works way better than the heat lamps.I put it on 750 watt,it also has 1500 watt.Wal mart $30.00. Trying to break the 7 broody silkies so I put up screens in front of the nesting boxes,they were not very happy with me

Thumbnail by green04735 Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

Some of my cochins

Thumbnail by green04735
Richmond, TX

Beautiful birds! They look quite warm with their puffy feathers.

Bridgewater, ME

Love the heater!! It was -23 here this morning at 6am and 32 out in the coop!! Need to pick up another for a back-up.The thermometers are 3 feet from the floor so its doing a great job.I am using the 750 watt setting.I have a good size coop so I am happy with the results

Ferndale, WA

Donna it was Maine they were singing about when they penned that song "Winter Wonderland."

Congratulations to your hubby on his three point $500.00 shot. I bet he almost fainted...lol I love your cochins, They are such a peacful bird and beautiful.

LFJesus I think that is wonderful you decided to purchase some modern games. I love them, they are so friendly. I got my first ones from ZZ'S and just loved them dearly. I remember being told also that they did not do well below 35, however I remember having to problem with them down to about twenty. I thought they were the most fun birds I ever had, I loved the Seramas but the modern games were very special...I think it's wonderful...Hay

Speaking of ZZ'S does anyone ever hear from her...I miss her.

Bridgewater, ME

25 dgrees today.chickens are outside and liking it,me to.Have to share the picture of my husband accepting his winning check for the half court throw.It made our local paper

Thumbnail by green04735
Ferndale, WA

I just love little things in life that can't be planned for. What a wonderful unexpected blessing, It reminds me of the book of Ruth...(handfuls on purpose) Isn't the Lord good...Hay

Bridgewater, ME

Yes Hay,the Lord is awsome!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Way cool photo. I think I would frame it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.