Shoot the weatherman

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Based on the weather reports on Tv and Weather.com, I didn't cover up my plants last night; big mistake, as it got down to 30 and now I have even more frost damage.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yeah, the forecasters have been wildly erratic the past week+. I gave up on them and just covered everything for the past 5 days! SUPPOSEDLY, tonight is to be the worst for me (down to 28), but will bounce back to well above freezing (35+) the rest of the week.

I'm not holding my breath.

Dolan Springs, AZ(Zone 9a)

My HIGH yesterday was 33- lows of 24 Sat night and 19 last night. Still have snow from last Wednesday. I covered my potted stuff, but I think this deep freeze has frozen the pots! I agree about the inaccurate weathermen, too. If you start writing down their long term forecast for a week each day they jump all over and still don't get it right!
Frogymon, accuweather seems to be the least off of the ones I follow. NOAA is ok too.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I'm going to take their forecast low and substract 5 to predict my low, as it seems my microclimate is quite different than at Sky Harbor or even Mesa Falcon Field.

I'm always amazed at what a difference terrain can make. I'm on a knoll, and my neighbors below are on a plain and they always have temps a few degrees lower when it's cold.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, it only got down to 38 last night; so much for the freeze warning. Some adverse weather event is on the horizon, because the birds are really active at the feeder today.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2013 1:30 PM

Phoenix, AZ

I've had tender plants covered since Friday. I don't trust the forecasters.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yeah last night was supposed to be cold, but it never got much below 40 in my back yard whereas the night before it got down to the high 20s. Keeping the plants covered one more night just to be sure and then will keep a sharp eye for the weather forecast.

It was strange though. Last night when I was outside around 10 it felt much colder then the night before, but it ended up being less cold…

oh weather...

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

The best place to look up weather and forecasts is weather.gov and put in your zip code. You can get the weather/temps for your very local area, which definitely is different than the news stations which is more slanted to Central Phoenix.

Humidity makes a big difference too- a moist 30 degrees can feel warmer than a dry 30 degrees. So 'it's a dry cold' isn't as nice😜

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I am with Fishie. I did not take any chances and covered my plants and brought most of my small pots and hanging baskets on the patio since Friday.

Phoenix, AZ

I have the Royal Poinciana in the house. My husband looked at it and said "If you think that is ok for a Christmas tree your wrong!" LOL, I said no, that's my RP. As soon as it warms up it will go back out. He was pretty upset.
I would NEVER hang ornaments or lights on my RP!

In his defense it is in the spot the Christmas tree will go.

Bad cell phone photo

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

Oh, I think a few ornaments would be sweet!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I agree.

Phoenix, AZ

I'm afraid ornaments would damage my little precious :O

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Love the orchid too!

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

tinsel would be perfect.

I now trust frogymons bird feeder more than the weatherman... 20% chance of rain today that wasn't in the forecast before this morning!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

The animals alwas seem to know what's coming before we do.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Forecast was .25"-.5", and I'm already at .65". This is one time I'm happy they got it wrong.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.