Dete succulent from swap

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

The succulent I got from Dete at the swap grew like crazy but now is kind of wrinkily. Is it winter dormant? Should I winter it outside or indoors? Its a variety of Huernia, right?

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

I winter all my succulents on the front and back porches, including stapelias, huernias and kalanchoes and they all made it throught the January freeze. The only exception is a wheelbarrow garden that's too heavy to move and even with covering it, I lost about 1/2 the plants. According to my notes, Dete brought some stapelias, but unless he can tell us what it is, we'll have to wait until they bloom in order to identify them. The ones I got are doing very well and multiplying.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Do yours get sun in winter?

I just posted on the cacti succulent board. I can't tell the difference visually between huernias & stapelias.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

The front porch has a southern exposure, so they get direct sun at this time of year and filtered sun/shade during the summer. Huernias tend to look more "prickly", kind of like ocotillo, whereas stapelias tend to be smoother. The flower is the best way of identifying any of the stapeliads, including the stapelias, huernias and orbeas. Incidentially, I have some of each; if you didn't get any of the S.gigantea or Orbea melanantha at the Spring Swap, let me know and I'll see that you get some.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2013 6:58 PM

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I picked up whatever was in the jiffy pots.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2013 5:22 PM

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

photos

Thumbnail by 2ndChance Thumbnail by 2ndChance
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Pretty sure it's O. malanantha.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Not sure why this image of O. malanantha didn't post earlier.

Thumbnail by frogymon
Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

yeah, that's what it looked like when it was healthy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.