CLOSED: Merry December Chat

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Happy Holidays to one and all!

We came here from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1340011/#new

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Morning everyone. So the countdown to Christmas begins.
Where did the year go to?

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

LK, any better?

Getting there. Slowly but surely!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

LK were you ill? I must have missed it, get well soon!

This year has flown by, but I am glad it is all most over, ready for a new year of live with Joe retired, it should be interesting..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It certainly has. I cannot believe it's December already. Sometimes I think time is creeping, but then it's suddenly December and I feel as if it has sped by. I wonder what 2014 will hold.

Well for Elfie and Ralph it will hold a paid off house, paid off barn, finished kitchen, and hopefully building of the livingroom.
For Gryphon it will hold his first job, and a drivers licence!

Poor Goober just wants to go live with Amanda..lol

I have bronchitis. Taking lots of meds so hope it clears up soon.
Praying 2014 will be better for all.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Looks like Elfie has some big plans for 2014!!

Linda, you've got to get rid of that bronchitis. Ugh. :/

No special plans for 2014, just one day at a time. :)

Linda.. Sending you healing hugggs....

(((((((( LINDA )))))))))

Thanks everyone. Just one of those things i get every 2 to 3 years around this time.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Aw Linda sorry you are so sick. My hubby had it earlier this summer. Get well. Yeah for you guys Elfie. Paying everything off. So happy for you. Wish we were in your shoes. Maybe 2014 will hold us being grandparents for the first time! Looking forward to this somday. Both my daughters want to have a family. Who knows..... December some how does sneak up huh?? We say it every year. Funny. My mom always told me time goes faster when we get older. But I am not older yet! Lol.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I am cheered reading everybody's holiday posts. I have been AWOL from the thread, it seems. I forced myself to abstain from the computer over thanksgiving. Court and I had fun together at his ex-boss lady's house for her "orphan's dinner" but there were only 8 of us all together so it was kind of weird. But I remembered at least three of the other guests from last year's Christmas party (lessee - the hostess and her hub, a friend of hers and the friends' mother, another friend, and a former co-worker) so I did not feel left out.

Court and I must have been acting goofy or something because one of the ladies (girls) kept saying, "Awww you two are so cute!" ha hhaa well. Like Debra, I am thankful because he takes care of his things AND he does crazy stuff on some weekends like rents the steam cleaner and cleans the carpets, cleans up cat vomit and other bodily fluids (hahahhaha), gosh he washes and IRONS his shirts and kakhis (sp?) and although he does tend to break things (like most recently my 13" x 9" heavy old irreplaceable Pyrex baking dish) he sometimes helps with the dishes.

I used to say I wouldn't date a man that couldn't cook for me since I was never home to do so, but now I've assumed sort of a house-wifey feeling of responsibility that I don't mind, but tend to run out of time to do the things I'm supposed to be doing for me, like finishing my dang master's degree.

Glad to say I stuck to my planned study schedule today and finished some assignments where I'd hoped to. Have a lot to do between now and my final exam next Tuesday p.m. AND if you'd forgotten, I'm supposed to take the physical aptitude test for the Firefighter II certification next Saturday, Dec. 14. :/

Ain't nervous, but Court's giant puppy jumped on me over the weekend and screwed up my old lady hip joint and haven't been able to work out for days. -sigh-

Send good vibes please!

AND to my ding-dong faculty advisor/committee chair who in response to my request that my committee meet and take action said by email TWELVE (12) DAYS AGO: "Very good. More response later."

Twelve days ago.

Looks like I'm on my own. How am I supposed to finish/graduate if they don't follow up?! And before that, the newest member of my committee took over 4 weeks to review my proposal to give me his feedback. -sigh-

Perhaps I need to get crabby. Crabbier. Like I said, pls. send good vibes.
Thanks.
A.
p.s. my deadline to graduate/finish all requirements to finish in spring 2014 is March 26.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

you will do fine, Amanda.. I know you will.... one day at a time, kiddo.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Sometimes these professors need to be reminded (sweetly, whether they deserve it sweetly or not)

Well,, I made it though my first day. I rang up 1600 items and was a $1.99 short. I was so angry with my self. Then it sank in how many items I rang up in just 5 hours. So not so bad after all...

I am now waiting for Ralph to get off work so we can go home. I am tired. My feet hate me, and other than that I feel pretty good. How I will feel tomorrow night is a different story....lol

Take a hot shower Kris.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

1600 items in 5 hours! What a way to start off. I'd say you did well indeed. That isn't much of a discrepancy, IMHO. Yes, I hope you had a nice hot shower or a good soaking bath.

Professors live in their own ivory tower worlds a lot of the time. Insular at the least.

Goodness, it's supposed to be 70 degrees today but then we'll have a temperature plummet by Friday.

Hope everyone is having a good week so far.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Carole thanks for keeping us chatting. You all make me laugh. Thanks for accepting me as I are.

So, yeah, yesterday morning I wrote out the email to my chair. And I saved it as a draft.

I mean, I can't do anything till exams are finished next weekend anyway. -sigh- But I will point out his delay as well as the other committee member when I do send that email. Look out, December 16!

Kris - them's a lot of items. I agree with Carole that 1.99 is really an impressive ratio! As I said on the phone - sure the customers will love you. Whether your co-workers can tolerate your insolence, well . . . time will tell! xox

Have a great day - forecast says 70 degrees here too. Better take this wool sweater off.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You're welcome, A. We're usually a chatty bunch so don't have to work at it too hard. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Today I was .10 cents over. I feel much better. The customers like me and so far I am way to busy to get in much trouble. Right now I am waiting for Ralph to get done then I am going home to bed. I am enjoying it so far. But I am not eating much,,, hummm maybe this is a good thing....lol.....

Manda,, you are a riot,,,,,

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Well the first of many I am sure L O N G drives to work. Seems we got snow last night after it rained and turned to ice, and so the story goes the state didn't know it was suppose to snow and ice so they did nothing. Didn't get much accumulation but I was going to turn into the Sonic, which didn't happen the car kept going straight...rofl. When you have a 40+ mile commute it makes for a long drive. It is bitter bitter cold and so windy. I need to move south with you all. Trust me 30's beat the heck out of single digits.

DeeJay hope you are warm up there and staying inside all toasty cause I heard it is negative up there?

Elfie I must of missed something, where you working?

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I feel a lot of sympathy for those of you in the cold. When I worked in NC and had to drive in snow/ice I just notified my employee that I was from Alabama and I had to either go home/stayhome as the case may be, and they were cheerful and laughed and let me go. Some people are not so lucky.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I feel for you, happ. I HATE ice. We had a doozie of an ice storm in '09. Took down so many power lines AND poles that we didn't get power restored for almost two weeks. Finally had to leave and go someplace with power until it was restored. It was just too cold. Well, tomorrow we're under a weather advisory for ice. I believe it won't be that way this time. :(

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

fingers crossed for no ice for anyone. ice storms are so beautiful---and SO destructive.

If you have to drive, please be careful!

All I can say now is I am starving since I didn't eat breakfast, I looked out and saw the snow I knew the traffic would be bad so I hurried out and on my way, thinking I will stop at MCDee or Sonic....but alas I didn't get to stop at either...rofl. Sure I will survive until lunch.

Yeap everyone stay safe and warm.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

While many of you are suffering through some horrible cold weather, in Alabama we are experiencing hot (upper 70's to low 80's) temps and rain so we need our air conditioning on just to rid the house of humidity. They say in a few days it may cool a bit to more seasonal temps. Yesterday I was making some yard arrangements and also a tour of the yard and thought you might enjoy some pictures.
1)Acuba is the first shot-very good for making arrangements, even w/o flowers.
2)Cyclamen. These have been blooming since about August. The deer ate the others I had so bought these whites in late summer. Or could have been the squirrels. they seem to get cravings for certain plants. Squirrels recently ate all my ice plant and all my ghost plant (succulent)
3) my postage stamp garden. these are turnip greens and rutabagas
4)Clematis Ramona-she sure is brave this late!
5) Gerberas in pots- I run these in and out of garage as needed for the temps

Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal

Love the garden shots! It is a cool 36 here this morning.

Thank you thank you, it was 9 degree's this morning and I needed that. Humid and warm is wonderful. Dry, bitter cold, and windy! Snow predicted this weekend and still really low temps. Leave for work in dark get home in dark, feel a lot like a vampire! rofl.

Blurry picture of the garden room. I added the pipes across the top of the racks and now I have a place to hang baskets. After the holidays I plan on hibernating in my room. Now the problem is keeping it watered.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Love those carts. Where did you get them?

Ohhh. Like the carts too!!! Now I have ideas for my plant room.

Just woke up. Was going to get the new phone turned on and the weather looks to bad to chance the drive. Still wish I had gone. Was also going to make a thrift shop run and make some pressies with a friend... Whaaa.

It eas boiling hot at work yesterday. I just about roasted.... Still I do like working there and everyone is super nice.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Here are some outdoor arrangements I made. The first is on the mailbox,
second and third are in pots I already had outside where I grew annuals before frost.
4), my very old log reindeer.
5) several year old wreath that I keep in the attic after the holidays. I sprayed lightly w/white to simulate snow, which we seldom get here, and certainly not before christmas. Sounds like famous last words, huh?

Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal Thumbnail by goldhillal

Crystal. those are awesome!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I really like the log reindeer. It's too wet and messy out there for me to do anything right now. Perhaps tomorrow.

And here I stayed home because of the rain and it did not rain....sigh...

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Crystal love those arrangements. I wish I were more crafty. I do prettygood with the yard. But other stuff??? Not so good. Elfie wow thats lots of rings in 5 hours. Busy, busy store. I may have to go to the dollar store around here. They carry everything even frozen foods. Had a busy week at work this week. We have two christmas parties the kitchen had to cater and r eplenish. Kinda all worked on it. Fun holiday partys. Then we have two next week then next saturday we have the kitchen and housekeepers party. Should be okay. I guess. Kinda do not like hanging out with coworks sometime. Love chatting with them at work tho. Well have a good weekend. Ronna

Hamilton, OH

Beautiful Arrangements, it's really cold out here the high of 20, it's going to be that way all Next week
that will be Fine if we get no more snow.
here's a Bloom, this plant did not Bloom all Summer, but when I brought it in it Started Blooming

Elizabeth

Thumbnail by plantlover49

Beautiful greenery and plants, it is 6 degrees today!

I love my plant carts, it took a while to accumulate them. I bought a couple at a garage sale, but the others I had to buy. I know you can get them at sams costco and probably walmart. They show them standing upright but I just assembled them differently doing that it gave me to ability to buy some pipe at Home Depot and had the hanging pots. It also allowed me to have different heights for the shelves for my sitting plants. They should last my life time since they are sturdy metal.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes, those are great happ. Nice to actually find something you can use and really like. Very cold here only in the low 20's and going to be this way all week. Bbbbrrrr... thats what happens in a four season state. ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.