Is Quinoa and Flax Seed Safe for the Birds?

(Zone 5a)

Someone was cleaning out their pantry and found some quinoa and whole flax seed. She gave them to me, thinking I could use this for feeding the birds. Would birds eat such things? And would it be safe?

We have country birds that will not touch people foods. The only time we tried is when I messed up a batch of granola. The Starlings wouldn't even touch that. Early into feeding the birds, we'd try cheerios and other things that people say the birds will eat. HA! Not these birds, they do not recognize people food as something edible.

I use flax seed after grinding for baking, but never used quinoa. So if the birds cannot eat these, I will find a way to use it up myself. I've been keeping them in the fridge and they do not smell off or anything.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Should be fine. Quinoa is often planted here as a bird seed crop, it is very similar to Fat-hen (Chenopodium album), also a traditional bird seed (as its English name hints!!). Flax (linseed) is also an excellent oil-rich seed for birds.

Resin

(Zone 5a)

Thank you for replying. We'll give these a try. I set out raw suet yesterday and see how they take to that. Some use it around here like that. I also cooked some and mixed it with oats, corn meal, flour, duck feed and peanut butter. All the birds like that.

(Zone 5a)

Well, it seems the birds will eat the quinoa, but they never touched the flax seed. I guess we'll just use that ourselves. :)

Albuquerque, NM

My neighbor gave me some awful home made "trail mix" with toasted (burnt) quinoa and dried cranberries for Christmas. The white winged doves couldn't get enough of it-they ate a pint of it in 2 days. Maybe I'll get lucky & get more this year. Seriously, it was really bitter and nasty stuff and I generally like that sort of food..

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Belated reply:
Have you seen the eggs in the store that supposedly are higher in DHA & Omega oils? They feed the laying hens flax seed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.