2014 Sphaerocarpium seedlings.

Burnley, United Kingdom

Thought I would post a couple of pictures of my seedlings just germinating ( for people who have purchased seeds from me)There is Hurstwood Francisco X Hurstwood Hannah and Gelber Engel X Arborea 'S'
We are just at the start of our winter so, 5 plus months before these can go outside
Good Luck with your seeds.
Alan

Thumbnail by Hurstwood Thumbnail by Hurstwood
Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice to see yours, do you cover the trays with anything to keep the moisture in?

Here's mine with alot of moisture. Hurstwood Francisco x Hurstwood Hannah and Arborea S x Hurstwood Sunshine.

They are growing under lights and still on a heat mat. Soon they will be uncovered as they are reaching the top.

Thumbnail by crazy4brugs
Mesilla Park, NM

Oh , they look healthy and it's exciting to see them germinate.

I'm going to be behind you guys. I'll start mine thus coming week..

Burnley, United Kingdom

Linda, they are in a propagator with a Perspex lid, they have bottom heat (72F) for 2hrs twice a day. Yours are looking good :-)

Antoinette, yours will soon be through and growing away :-)
Alan

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

These were planted Nov. 13 and I have had to pot them up to a 6 oz cup. Rosa Lila x Hurstwood Bow. They are growing under lights 16 hrs a day.

These seeds were from my March order.

Thumbnail by crazy4brugs
Mesilla Park, NM

Here are mine just started today. I had to use this miracle grow mix, couldn't find jiffy soil less mix anywhere. I'm a little worried .. Using this mg mix. I'll post my progress here

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice setup Antoinette.

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you... The wait begins.. Lol, I also started some brug seeds you sent me and some old datura seeds, I hope they are still viable , seeds from parks, the ballerina series. Also, I will start some passionvine seeds this coming week.

How long did yours take to germinate, I did peel several and some I did not so I'm sure germination will be sporadic.

Burnley, United Kingdom

Yea,great set up Antoinette, any germinated yet?

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Most sprouted in a reasonable amount of time. Though I am still waiting on 6 seeds. I planted 20 more seeds a week ago and they have not popped up yet. They are on a heat matt and under lights.

Here is one funny looking seedling. The small one next to it and the one behind it are all the same cross. That's what is great about growing seeds. Each seed is different.

Thumbnail by crazy4brugs
Mesilla Park, NM

Nothing yet, however, the daturas sprouted two days ago which surprised me some because they were older seeds from a couple of years ago that I ordered and didn't have time to start.

I check the cups a couple of times a day, soon I hope.

Mesilla Park, NM

Alan, One of the H. Francisco x Mobisu seeds just germinated this morning.. Very excited here. The rest should be following shortly. Happy , Happy.. Here..

Linda, I forgot to mention that those leaves remind me of the dwarf morning glories from Japan. Very interesting.

A.

Burnley, United Kingdom

Great news Antoinette.
Hopefully others will soon follow :-)
Blooms soon LOL
Alan

Mesilla Park, NM

One more sprouted, just breaking ground

Arborea "S" X. Hurstwood Sunshine

Burnley, United Kingdom

:-)

Long Beach, CA

Looking good!!
Rhapsody

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Thought I ask about pruning this funny looking seedling. I would rather have a standard, than a
bushy plant. Is it ok to pinch off the extra leaves? This really has grown alot in 8 days.

Thumbnail by crazy4brugs
Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

The main stem is smaller than the 2 side branches.

Mesilla Park, NM

Boy, that looks so healthy. I know I hate to cut off branches when they are small, but if you want a standard you gave to , it's probably better to start shaping it now. That's just what I think . I'm interested in other opinions, I'll probably be facing the same dilemma here in a few weeks.

A.

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Found this on Sanguinea x Amethyst this morning. It is not a seed pod. Looks like a bud.
A very different shape.

Thumbnail by crazy4brugs
Mesilla Park, NM

Ooh, I can hardly wait to see it when it opens up. Good for you!
A.

Burnley, United Kingdom

Linda
This is the shape of some of the buds from Sanguinea crosses.
Sometimes you have to open the bottom of the bud or the bloom gets messed up and twisted trying to break out.
Good Luck.

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Alan, I took your advice and opened the bottom of the bud, and it started to come out. It has a beautiful yellow color. This is what it looks like now. I'll get another pic later.

Thumbnail by crazy4brugs
Burnley, United Kingdom

I was going to say 'unusual colour from this cross' then I remembered Hurstwood Sunshine who's parents on both sides came from the same cross and is a beautiful Yellow Cv.
Hope you like it when it opens Linda :-)

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Took another look at it because it was not dropping down. It is all scrunched up inside there. So I cut the side of it open to expose the pollen, maybe I can save that.

A seed pod on Australian Arborea has matured and those seeds are huge.

Thumbnail by crazy4brugs Thumbnail by crazy4brugs Thumbnail by crazy4brugs
Burnley, United Kingdom

The pollen should be fine for pollination or fertilise this bloom and see if it takes.
Pure Arborea tend to have seeds heavily covered in 'cork' I tend to peel the cork off prior to sowing these.

Mesilla Park, NM

Good liooking seeds!

Here are my seedlings... I love them. Some are really healthy bad getting big. Some are smaller and grow slower too.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

I got some crazy big double daturas too. Bi didn't know how big these got and fast too. Sowed the same time as the Brugs above.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

These did not do too well but are growing. The first four are also Seeds I ordered from you. I hope I can keep them going.

The last yellowish one is a seedling from Linda's seed. Most were very yellow or white leaves, this is the only one that I've been able to keep going.

Mesilla Park, NM

I forgot to ask this question, what time frame are we looking at fir blooms? I've already started misting the leaves with a tiny bit of fertilizer. How about you guys? I hope I don't love them to death..

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

The seeds I sent to you were the ones I had purchased from Liz Fichlt. Those brugs get huge. And the seed had been in my refrig for a couple of years. Hope you get something special from them.
The albino seedlings always die. Don't know about the yellow one. Some crosses do produce alot of seedlings that will be albino.

The Sphaero plants don't get as big as the others. That's one of the reasons why I'm growing them.

Alan can tell you more.

Burnley, United Kingdom

Confirming what Linda has said, yellowing can be poor light as well. Also try them with a little Magnesium Sulphate (Epsom salts) mixed into the foliar spray, it can help 'green them up'
All my plants have to bloom within the first 12 months so I can evaluate the blooms before winter storage ( I don't have space to over winter plants I haven't seen bloom) so now this early blooming is in their genes they tend to bloom quickly 6-8!months.
Lookin good :-)

Alan

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Alan what size pots do you usually keep your plants in? I'm thinking mine should be potted up.

Burnley, United Kingdom

Antoinette, I constantly 'pot up'
I tend to go 2x2 Sq then 3" round then 5" round then 7" finally 10"
But my seedlings have a final pot size of 5" just to try to force them to bloom quickly to see if they are worth keeping.

Mesilla Park, NM

I just finished putting some into 3" round plastic pots. I may have gone too big on the pots.

Burnley, United Kingdom

No,I don't believe you've gone to large on the pots,they all look nice and healthy.
I don't see labels in all the pots! You will forget what they are :-0 LOL

Mesilla Park, NM

I put blue tape labels on the brown pots, they are kind of hard to see. I took pictures at an angle. I still have to make plastic labels for them or metal ones. Thank you.

There are 4 Arborea x H Sunshine, 1 H Sunshine x Oro verde and 4 H. Byrony x Elinor that I transplanted. Then I have 4 smaller seedlings of H. Francisco x Mobisu inside the dome along with small datura seedlings.

Edited to make this Correction on the H. Sunshine x Oro Verde, the rest did not come up and may have rotted. So I only have one seedling.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2014 1:27 PM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

You have some nice crosses that you are growing out. :)

With Alan saying it should take a year to bloom, I was encouraged to start more seed. My last seed pod was ripe this morning and I'm going to plant most of those.

Have a bud getting ready to open. Arborea "S" x H. Hannah. It's not a dark color, but nice tendrils.
And of course hoping for fragrance.

Thumbnail by crazy4brugs
Mesilla Park, NM

Oh my goodness, you can see the pink already on the edge. It already looks beautiful. Do you use any type of bloom boosters on your plants come springtime or at all?

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

No, actually come spring time when they go outside I really neglect them. This year I will take care of them better.
right now they get 1/4 teaspoon miracle grow to 1 1/2 gallon of water.
Last week when the real cold air engulfed us my sunroom was 40 degrees F (5 degrees C ) in the morning. All the buds hung on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.