invasives of another kind

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

there didn't seem to be a good forum to post these pictures on...not sure they qualify as wildlife, etc.

anyway, they do an incredible amount of damage to any and all plant life they come across. we have a trapper referred by florida fish and game who set a cage trap with sour corn. this is our first "catch". there must be six or seven young ones in there. he'll pick them up this afternoon and re-set the trap. he sells them, for a nominal fee, to various farmers in the area and i'm told that they tame down fairly fast.

the picture of the ones running wild are three sows and a boar and a few piglets. the sows will also be sold and the boar will be turned into dinners. he's the only one that they can't safely remove alive from the trap.

Thumbnail by trackinsand Thumbnail by trackinsand Thumbnail by trackinsand Thumbnail by trackinsand
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Holy cow - I would stay away from them!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

lol, kay. you can't get anywhere near them. they're mean but also very shy. i took these with a zoom.
the trapper came late this afternoon and picked them up. there were 8 in the cage! different sizes/different litters.
now to get the big ones.....sigh. it's a time consuming process. you never know when they'll re-appear.

Happy Thanksgiving! Be safe - there will be a lot of pigs running amok this Thursday!!!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

same to you! bundle up! i'll be covering plants today.....and moving a few too.

I moved all of mine into the greenhouse or covered them with quilts. We haven't had 31 degrees in 4 years!!!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you're lucky! the last big freeze here was only 3 winters ago.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Those wild pigs are worrisome! They've been spotted in Virgina (and many other states as well). I read that they make deer damage look miniscule by comparison.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

muddy, you would think i had a tractor come in and plow the land; that's how bad it looks when they're done.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Your property looks so wonderful; are you right on a lake ? I didn't look it up, but I'm guessing that Mid Central is not on the ocean or gulf.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

thank you. yes, it's a small lake in lake county. we are smack dab in the middle of the state. we have many big lakes (called chains) that you can access the ocean from and thousands of small lakes all around us.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

meant to add this pic taken this morning to my new post above.
we have lots of fog on chilly mornings in this area. the "boat" looking thing in the lake is a pontoon boat bottom with a lighted (at night) christmas tree. the neighbor across the lake puts it up every year. looks ghostly in the morning light.
also added a pic of one of my Christmas Cactus'.

Thumbnail by trackinsand Thumbnail by trackinsand
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That does look like a ghost ship, but it must be a nice sight at night.

What a great place to live - near water, but probably sheltered from hurricanes, lots of sun and warm weather. I'm little jealous.
Your cactus looks very Christmas-y. I have one that never blooms. I'm sure it needs some kind of TLC it's not getting. I pretty much ignore my indoor plants.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i don't have a lot of light in the house. the only plants that survive in here are Sans, Clivias and Agleonema, oh and a Ficus 'Alli'. my succulents are all outside year round except if we get below 32. then i haul them into the garage.

we moved up here from the Keys ten years ago with the express intent of getting away from hurricanes. you can never totally be rid of them in florida but yes, we are inland and protected. i've seen snow here, briefly, and we do get cold once in a while, like 17 or so but that is pretty rare. on a morning like this one, it was 42 with fog and patchy frost. i've never figured out that frost thing here. it doesn't have to be all that cold to get frost.

all in all, inland central florida is a terrific place to live.....it's country all around us but close to everything we could possibly need.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.