Black Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I recently purchased a black bat flower and have noticed that it seems to be declining. Nothing I have done seems to be helping to improve the quality of the plant. I have lots a few leaves and the plant itself just droops.

Since this is my first attempt at growing this, I don't know if what I am seeing is normal for the plant, if it goes into a dormant period or if it is a larger problem. Living in zone 9A, we have a pretty tropical climate and it's been kept indoors out of direct sunlight. It's kept in front of a east facing window that gets filtered sen from my birds of paradise.

Unfortunately, I do not have any pics right now...but wanted to know if anyone here has much experience in growing bat flowers and was looking for any insight or advice.

Thanks,
Shauna

Blackshear, GA

Hi Shauna
Since no one else has responded here is my experience with the black bat flower. I have bought this plant at least 2 if not 3 times, and unfortunately it has died every time. I have hundreds of plants and most are tropical, so I am rather experienced with plants and some with special requirements. I really babied the last one I had, but no matter what I did, it gradually declined and died. I personally don;t know what the secret to these are. I think I read that they should be treated like an orchid and are really sensitive to the type of water they receive. (which I used mostly rain water on my last one so....) Sorry to be the barer of bad news and I hope yours is doing better. This is just one plant I have 'marked' off my want list. Good Luck

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Like GAgirl, I too failed in my only try at growing the black bat. I only had a single plant, and it was sent as a gift from Mike, but it never grew from the corm he sent me. I don't have a clue why it died. Its needs/care must be different than orchids, since it was with my orchid plants, and I have hundreds of orchids, and received the same light, temperature, humidity, and water.

Ken in Mississippi

noonamah, Australia

If you're keeping it indoors then it should be okay, other than if it's far too dry inside or got heated air blowing on it. The issue would have to be the soil. They like rich, well drained soil. If the soil stays too wet/soggy then that would be a problem. They also take more fertiliser than your usual orchids.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I think they must like to be root bound in the pot. A local nurseryman has an enormous black bat plant that is really many, many plants in the container. It is always in bloom and very healthy looking. I am guessing the pot is 14" or 16" and the leaves and flowers spread for at least 3' in every direction. Here are some photos of some of the flowers on the plant taken a few weeks ago. There are usually a minimum of a dozen flowers and generally many more.

FYI, the only one I have tried to grow died. Sounds like I am in good company. :-)

Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I was sent 5 corms - only one has survived.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I think it had received too much water, so I pulled it out and re-planted it in a potting mix and (since the temps down here have been almost spring-like), I have placed it outside in a shady spot. I cut the amount of water it has been receiving and am letting it dry out.

It is still droopy, but the leaves are not turning yellow like they were.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

It might be going dormant, too. Mine is in the Florida room and I've let it dry out completely - it's leaves are dropping. I'm not going to give it much water over the winter months, since it has moisture stored in the bulb.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I am hoping it has just gone dormant for the winter (even though I have not had winter like temps yet). Fingers crossed that it perks back up and thrives!

Keaau, HI

The plants go dormant here in Hawaii.

I think if you can bring the bulbs indoors during freezing weather, you will have them next year.

They are a tropical plant, not used to freezing!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Luckily we don't get freezing temps here very often and the current temps are comparable to our springtime weather (lows in the 60's and highs in the 80's).

I am keeping it outdoors now, but will definitely be bringing it inside once the temps start to drop.

noonamah, Australia

My Tacca chantrieri never goes dormant, but it does stop, or slow, growth. My Tacca leontopetaloides always go dormant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.