Best broccoli varieties

Dayton, WA

I live east of the cascades in the PNW in zone 6. You experts out there, please tell me the best varieties of broccoli to plant both in the Spring and for a Fall harvest

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

You should be unlimited in your choices. Pick a variety that suits your needs. Example do you want a large central head or are you happier with a medium central head and lots of side shoots. Hybrids in general are more productive than OP's but OP's grow less uniformly giving you a longer harvest window. If you are in a hurry for spring broccoli, choose a quick growing cultivar. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=broccoli&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=with&Search=Search

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We use Gypsy all the time. It don't mind when it is planted.
Nice main head, unbelievable side shoots. They were still producing at freeze-up.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Well, since Farmerdill says anything will work, I recommend Acadia. I found it 3 years ago and was enchanged. It makes smaller heads, but very prolific (multiples at one time) and great for re-growth. This means I can easily pick the amount of broccoli I want for whatever reason. And it tastes delicious.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If you want an OP, Green Goliath is the best that I have tried. Early enough for spring planting here, staggered harvest, good side shoots. Only two varieties that I have tried that were unsatisfactory were Gypsy and Belstar, not suited to my growing conditions.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I second the Arcadia recommendation! It is an absolutely GORGEOUS broccoli plant!

And, it actually does makes relatively small heads....depending on what you call small...LOL!

Uh, the side shoots are only about the size of a tangerine, or an orange....

LOL!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Dayton, WA

Thank all of you for your input regarding my broccoli question. I've decided to go with Green Magic and Gypsy in the Spring and Arcadia in the Fall. I have lots of space in my garden so can afford to experiment.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've had excellent crops of Green Goliath but being that my garden is a bit north and in a mountain zone, Gypsy does well too. The heads are smaller though and not as productive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.