Hello

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

I am back, wondering how many "old timers" are still around? I see lots of great breeding has been going on! GREAT I sent out 1000s of cutting many years ago. Due to 11F & 14F the next night I lost all my brugs & tropical hibiscus but that is the way things go when the power goes out.. Come Spring I will start back collecting. We have moved to Rose Hill, NC to a 22+ acre farm & loving it. Goats, Muscovy Ducks, Guinea Fowl, Geese (American Buff, Blue & Lavender) Key West Chickens, Manx Cats, Bees & Dachshunds! Oh lots of fencing LOL still a work in progress LOL
Larry

This message was edited Nov 22, 2013 11:56 PM

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Larry, did you use a different user name when you were here before?

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Larry, welcome back, it sure is great to see you.. Moving takes a while to get used to and to start over as well. Your in good company here. Send me a dmail when you get a chance I owe you seeds.. Your mg seeds are still my favorites of any that I have ever grown. Again, welcome back.

Antoinette

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

Always been my name here! Man DG sure has grown LOL :-)

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

I want Spring now! LOL I have almost finished fencing off nearly 2 acres for my Geese. American Buff, Blue & Lavender are the best very friendly & the quietest of all the breeds & not agressive at all! I haven't planted a Iponoea in several years but will this sping! But this Spring I will. Also get back into Tropical Hibiscus & of corse Brugmansia. I pray that of the 5 I have one is really the Versicolor Wild Type.. I did share it with a few folks & have seen it on ebay but it was not the right color. With the move & kids & critters I will not know til it blooms
I got it in the house & have started fert. it Ms A good to know you are still around LOL do you have any Penis Gourd Seeds... the real ones LOL I bought some seeds but none were the real deal so to speak!

Here's a source to buy penis shield gourd seeds:

http://www.foothillsfarm.com/gourdseeds/gourdseeds.htm

$3.00/15 seeds.

Mesilla Park, NM

Hey Larry,
I have a whole box of gourd seeds of all types, I'll check for you. If I have some you can have them. All of those seeds are old however, a gentleman by the name of David Wuttkee, from TurtleDove Feathers told me that if they are stored right, they will hold for a long time. Only thing is germination is also sporadic with those..

I haven't grown gourds in years, I miss the excitement when measuring time came along on the giants.

A

Antoinette, I'm sure I've asked before, but do you have any of the itsy-bitsy jewel gourd seeds to trade?

Mesilla Park, NM

I may have some mini gourd seeds. Give me some time to find them in my studio. I gave sooooo many gourds, almost all of them to the senior center in Las Cruces, NM. They have classes that I wish I could attend... But haven't been able to get away from home. I think I saved some minis, but have to look. I'll get back to you on those.

Now I'm confused, Antoinette. I just did a search for the botanical name to give you for the jewelry gourd, and read that there is no such thing as seed for a jewelry gourd.

Mesilla Park, NM

They most likely are referring to the mini gourds which are made into pendants and worn as necklaces and earrings .. They are tiny about two to three inches in size. I don't know who or why they called them jewelry gourds, or jewel gourds..

I hope that helps, that's probably why you can't find any. Try looking for mini gourds. Welburn farms carries the minis.

Mesilla Park, NM

Kay, here is a site that has them.. Cute, cute, cute

http://www.amazon.com/Dwarf-WORLDS-SMALLEST-Jewelry-1132/dp/B005KKBG58/ref=pd_sim_lg_1

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

WOW - Gourd - I did not know there was a gourd THAT tiny. Can only imagine what the seed look like. I have raised the Tennessee Spinner and thought it was the smallest - guess not. I just recently acquired this Corsica (I think)/canteen/tobacco gourd for seed. Just hoping the gourd seed is still good and will germinate. If not, it was worth the try.

Thumbnail by brendak654

Thanks for the site, Gourd - however, their customer reviews are terrible - I'll pass.

Mesilla Park, NM

Sorry to hear that Jo. You may want to try Welburns farm. They are fantastic and have great reputations for their outstanding gourds. They do sell the minis for jewelry pendants.

Brenda, yes they are actually tiny little things.. Perfect for earrings or Christmas ornaments.. Neat gourds.. I hope you guys can find some, the seeds are really tiny and smooth. If you do grow them, there are quite a few to each vine and the plus side is that they make perfect container plants that vine on small trellis s..

Mesilla Park, NM

Once these roofers are gone and I can get Christmas done, I'll will try to find some seeds here . I usually try to keep some mini gourds around. I'm in the middle of the end of a remodel and it's almost done. Please bare with me

Thanks

A.

Antoinette, happy holidays to you and your family. Your kindness is always appreciated - thank you!

I'm also wanting some snake gourd seeds, if you have those to trade. I have lots of different seeds to trade or can send you something else.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.