INTRO: Queen of Hearts quercifolia (USNA)

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

http://usna.usda.gov/Newintro/QueenofHearts.pdf

Queen of Hearts was developed from a 1998 hybridization of oakleaf hydrangea cultivars 'Snow Queen' and 'Pee Wee'. It was released by the U.S. National Arboretum's shrub breeding program in McMinnville, Tenn. in 2013. 'Queen of Hearts' was selected from the same population that produced 'Ruby Slippers'. 'Queen of Hearts' was selected for its large, upright inflorescences and heavy flowering.

It flowers approximately 7 to 10 days later than standard oakleaf hydrangea cultivars, and inflorescences remain attractive after those of other cultivars have faded.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2013 5:43 PM

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

But be careful with it. While Pee Wee, Ruby Slippers and Muchkin are compact, QH is a regular sized (translation 'large') oakleaf hydrangea so make sure you have a space w-i-d-e enough for it (9 ft).

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Semantics!

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Hee hee hee! It does look nice on the pics, does it not? I like that it is not too high but the width.... hmmm. It is a problem for me nowadays. I had a large hydrangea spot once where a maple tree was and tried an Alice there. Now I think QH might look good there. You know, I think a real solution for QH may be to plant more trees! Lordy Lord! :o)

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I love the oakleafs, they are a multi-season beauty. And carefree. I need more space!

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

I hear you. And I need more shaded spaces for the shaded plants that I want to add but can't!!! Already added a few trees 2-3 years ago but ha, need more shaded space again. LOL!

I like the color of the leaves that some oakleafs get in the Fall. Munchkin goes dormant quite early here and has a nice set of red/orange leaf colors where I have it under a Chinese Pistache Tree. But Pee Wee for some reason goes dormant much later for me. PW is located elsewhere in the property and its leaves are now out there as green as if it was mid summer. Man, I thought it would have gone dormant when we had a few freezing spells earlier this month. Muchkin did do that but ole PW refuses to go dormant for some reason. Then again, I think it did the same thing (go dormant late) last year too. That is why I do not fertilize hydrangeas on or after July.

What other hydrangeas do you have?

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmm, not many truth be told. I have two other oakleafs one is Burgandy http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49404/#b
and the other Snow Queen perhaps? I can't recall. I have starts of PeeGee and Starburst. Two very large doubilicious.
Lastly a hydrangea macrophylla bavaria that has yet to bloom. All are very young with the exception of doublicious which I bought this year in a 5 gallon and split.

Yourself?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Currently have a few macs (most were mislabeled or planted by the prev owner with no idea of what name they were; Mme. Emile Moulliere, Sun Goddess and Glowing Embers) and a few oakleafs (Alice, Pee Wee and Ruby Slippers). Quick Fire was my first paniculata but it did not make it. I thought I planted where I had drip irrigation but I was way off and it died last summer. Some camellias and one hosta.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Sun Goddess is a nice plant, I'll have to keep my eye out for it. Right now I am in my "different" phase for hydrangeas. Which is why I have a start of Haye's Starburst and bought a doublicious. I have some serratas but haven't been able to ID them. The majority of my shrubs are rhododendron. Lots of evergreen and deciduous azaleas. I've been considering adding some Camellias.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.