Newbie Advice - Stove to Flue Joint Help

Crewe, United Kingdom

Looking for some help, I am new to the forum and we've recently bought a house with a Clearview 500 Log burner/stove. I started to use the stove about 1-month ago and I had the chimney swept last week.
I mentioned to the chimney sweep that the flue to stove joint looked loose... the chimney sweep told me that the joint cement needed replacing. I didn't have a clue what to do so I asked him to do it for me.

The chimney sweep put some cement (XL cement) in the joint for me but when I lit the fire... the flue heats up and the cement just cracks and leaves a 1mm gap. I phoned the local stove shop and they told me to put some more cement in the joint... but it seems to have made the gap worse.

I basically don't have a clue what I'm supposed to do and wondered if anybody can help. I think I've now gone and put too much cement on the joint and its rock solid on the flue now. I do have the correct paint but I don't want to paint it until its correct.

I've attached some pictures

Can anybody offer any advice please?

Thank you in advance.
Tom (Cheshire, UK)

Thumbnail by laney456 Thumbnail by laney456 Thumbnail by laney456
This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!