Mexican Buckeye - Ungnadia speciosa

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Has anyone had experience with this as a small tree with just one or two trunks? And a second question: how fast does it grow?

Belton, TX

I've raised this tree for years...it is multi-trunked and gets larger wide than tall with graceful, strong limbs that are covered in blooms in the spring before the foliage appears. It grows approximately 12 to 18" per year if given moisture and is quite drought tolerant once established...

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks for replying, tx-gal. How big around is your tree?

Belton, TX

Hummm, about 30" at the base, but that is 5 trunks...as to the top portion?...maybe 20' across and 16 to 18' tall...they are going into dormancy now and are showing a brilliant golden yellow...just stunning against the green oaks and elms...

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow. That's huge! I was considering pruning the one I just bought to a single trunk. Do you think that would work out?

Belton, TX

I think it will greatly harm the natural beauty of the tree. It is considered a small tree or large shrub....

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

You are right; I'll leave it the way it ought to be. I have a single trunk desert willow, which I dearly love, but that's enough playing around with nature. Thanks for your response, it helped get me straight. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.