What is happening to my Dahlia tubers?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I pulled these out of the ground this past Sunday and they are all looking shriveled and they are a little squishy. When I pulled them out I washed the soil off and spread them out to dry. They are in the garage that is dark and around 50-55 degrees. I know you're supposed to put them in peat or wood chips but I didn't find that out until yesterday. I will pick up some pet bedding tonight but I was just wondering if they've already started to rot.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Boy, they desiccated fast. I am surprised. Mine got soft and looked a little shrively but then firmed up after wrapping in saran (my choice for storage - not too many do this). Most prefer peat moss as it both absorbs moisture and provides a little moisture depending on what the tubers seem to need. But definitely do something soon.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I think I'd use separate bags for each of them and add slightly dampened peat moss. Check them again in a few days or a week, to see if they have plumped up at all. Keep the bags in a cool spot (not over 50 degrees) and let us know how they respond.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

When you say to put them in bags, what sort of bag do you mean? This is my first time trying this so I'm totally clueless. Ober, you actually wrap them in saran wrap? Thanks.

I do. Like I said not too many others do. It was recommended by Corralitos Gardens (Kevin Corralito). I did it one year and it was pretty good. The next year I got the tubers too damp and that was a disaster. I tried something else last year, but a gain it might have been operator error. So I just made sure my tubers were dry and the did a 'shake and bake' in a powdered fungicide and wrapped them. Each tuber in it's own wrap so if one rots it won't affect the others.

I'd love to be as good as Mary but I'm not. I can't even find eyes!

I put the tubers upside down to drain out the water, for 3 days, then put them in typical plastic grocery bags with almost dampened shredded straw (because I have a huge amount of it) but slightly damp peat moss would work just as well.

As we have agreed here on Dahlia Lane, each of us seems to do it a little differently and quite often get somewhat differening results; not between us but each of us from year to year. I think Dan (PSUDAN) is probably the one with the best batting average for saves. At least he always seems to have extras. lol. And still buys more. Talk about OC. For those that have been recipients, we are grateful.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the tips but since I hadn't heard back I made a move. I took large ziplock bags from work, put some water in them, got the tuber wet, then put in three gardening shovels full of fresh peat, shook them around, and closed up the bag. The worst of the five I skipped the peat and just put some water in the bag with the hopes it would suck up the moisture in a day or so and then I'd put some peat in. Four of the five are volunteers from last year. I lost all but one of last year's crop because I didn't know they needed lifted. I thought it would be hard to lift the ones this year but it was really easy so I got the confidence to put an order in at Swan Island Dahlias. I am starting to wonder about this now though because of my unsuccess now :(

Don't let it get you down! When was your first hard frost? Many people leave them in the ground for two weeks to cure, then go through the lifting/cleaning/washing/draining, then putting them away for the winter.

Tell us any colors you've lost (names are even better) and if we have extras, and if you want them for the cost of postage, many of us would be happy to send them your way either now or in spring.

Swan Island is a great place so I'm sure you'll be happy with your order.

Mentor, OH

I hate to see shriveling so soon after digging. But the "shriveling" sounds better than the "squishy". If they were mine I would get them into a damp medium (peat moss?) as soon as possible for a couple days or so and try to plump them back up. After they, hopefully, plump back up, they need to be stored in something dry to absorb excess moisture. My friends use coarse vermiculite, not the vermiculite/soil that is used for seed starting. I have had good success with a potting soil/peat moss mixture. But it needs to be "almost" dry. You can always spritz them every few weeks if they seem to start the shriveling again. Everyone has their favorite storage method but anything you use has to be in conjunction with storage in a cool, dark place. Mine are always in the 50-something degree range that you mentioned. I wish I had a little cooler area but I haven't had a problem so far. My uncle has a friend that wraps her tubers in newspaper and stores them in a cardboard box with no medium of any kind. I won't chance that.

It does show the resilience of the tubers that they can survive despite such various methods of holding them over winter. One year I put them all in the basement without bags, peat moss or anything else. I think I lost all but one. Live and learn the hard way.

Mentor, OH

My first attempt at storing was a total disaster. I tried using pine sawdust and didn't add any moisture during the Winter. The following Spring, I had the chunks of "driftwood" I mentioned a while back. It's always good to remember that dryness/shriveling is oftentimes fixable. Too soft or rubbery is sayonara.

Okay. Now you got me. I am headed to the crawl space to pinch tuber packages. Report later...

Well, some are going to rot. Most are still firm. Fuzzy Wuzzy is growing in the crawl space. Lots of pure white growth. It has to be too warm down there. No clue where to move them. I guess the garage floor. Coldest place I can imagine.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Pirl, that is very generous of you! Everyone is always so nice at DG! The 4 volunteers are purple with reddish leaves, single petaled and about 3" in diameter. The survivor is the same but the color is pale yellow with pinkish hues on the backside of the petals. I favor the single ones that are smaller but all of them are pretty. It sounds like I shouldn't feel so bad because it seems like this is a highly trial and error process. Oh and to answer your question Pirl, I don't remember when our first hard frost was but I think it was about two weeks before I lifted them. We've been having a very strange rain cycle here the last 3-4 months though. We're dry with no rain for 3-4 weeks and then we'll get 1+ inches at a shot and once in the beginning of October we got 5.5 inches at once. So the strange thing is the ground is still bone dry, perhaps this has something to do with them desiccating so rapidly?

Interesting thought.

That just might be the issue for the shriveling. Check on the one you're trying to revive and let us know how it looks. I'm curious. I have read of people having success with soaking the shriveled. I also agree fully with Dan about the hopeless soft and spongy state of dahlias.

You can just look at the photos that Mary, Dan, Etelka and I posted this past dahlia season. I don't have the single types - I'm more the fluffy type! If you spot anything just ask the person if they have any extras.

Also, late in the buying season many dahlia companies have great bargains so you can look at Lynch Creek (and other dahlia companies) for sales in May. The shot below shows their sale as of May 14th so sign up for their newsletter (does not come often - maybe twice a year) so you can buy on sale.

Here's a link to Lynch Creek Farm and about one third of the way down on this page there is a section about how dahlias get their names. I found it fun dahlia reading at this time of year.
http://blog.lynchcreekdahlias.com/

Below that section they talk about their late season sale.

Thumbnail by pirl
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well I'll give them a few days and see what happens. That Black Ice Dahlia is gorgeous. I also like the Razz Ma Tazz and Tahiti Sunrise. I'll let you all know how they look after the weekend.

Great! We'll be waiting for good news.

I'm heading out to dig right now so I can let you know about Raz Ma Taz. It's first on my list to dig.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, so the Dahlias seem a little better. There are at least two that I would say have been 'saved' so far. Another one seems viable and two are iffy. I will keep a monitor and make sure they are cared for through the winter. Thanks for the help!

Good luck. They are really fairly tough little guys.

I'm glad to hear the good news.

They are tough but mine will have to be super tough. I put them all out on the table to drain, then cold weather kept me warm and cozy inside. I did cover them two nights ago but have to wonder if they survived the cold nights.

How soon would I see rot, Mary?

You left them outside on a table? Oh, not right away. I would think that when they warm up a little indoors in storage you would see it within a few weeks. Speaking of which I think I may go downstairs and check on mine. The garage is nice and cool with the cold weather so I may move them out there. Especially if they silly things persist in trying to grow.

Fort Worth, TX

ok, I was going to put them in super dry sand, guessing that is ok for peacock orchids and gladiolus but not for dahlias?

Dahlias can't go totally dry. Well, they can but it isn't recommended if you ever want to grow them again.

Thanks, Mary. I'll try and get them to safety today.

Fort Worth, TX

thank you pirl

As per D-mail I am tending some iffy tubers with a light bleach bath, a little drying time and then back to storage. I have a bucket with vermiculite filled with Sweet Dreams tubers. So many of them. And they look good. Maybe next year I will try that. Problem is that I can't label my tubers and if I mix them up it is really difficult in spring to figure out where to put what. I would give anything if mine turned out like Dan's. They look so healthy and professional come spring.

It's just not as simple as we might wish. This time around I didn't use the shredded straw since today, of all days, Jack decided to clean out the shed...that's where the shredded straw it. So I used peat moss and will hope for the best. They've all been put to sleep now - Sweet Dreams, indeed!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Ober, did you say a bleach bath? What does bleach do for the tubers?

Oh, I was trying to kill the little fuzzy stuff growing on them. It is a good way to treat stuff before it goes down for along winter nap if you are afraid of the 'bad guys." Or so I read. Can't hurt them as I didn't soak them. Had enough trouble with the damp. I opened all of my packages and was pretty disappointed. No more saran or fungicide for me. I did better when I just washed and dried them and put them in wood shavings or vermiculite. A little desiccation but no rot.

Fort Worth, TX

ok, I didn't do a bleach bath. The tuber I put in the garage with the gladiolas had dried up totally so I threw it out (been a month) The mushy one I dug up I threw out. I know I should start a new thread, but this one is the right topic. I accidentally cut into a couple of the round potato type bulbs on a dahlia when I dug them today. I dusted them with cinnamon and bagged each plant's roots individually in fish bags of organic potting soil that was freshly opened and seemed to be just the right stage of moist. Then put all bags in another bag in the garage. Here's hoping. If they don't make it through the winter I believe I will not try again. They are HARD to grow. You all do a great job and get actual colored flowers I got a white, and a pale pink and the rest either didn't bloom (4 of those) or died and didn't bloom first.

Think I will have any in the spring?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

It's interesting you say that now about the bleach as on my best two, I am getting fuzzy grey mold. I left the bags open last night to dry out some of the peat they are in. I'm going on vacation tonight and won't be back until next Friday. Do you think it would be a good idea to rise them in some bleach before I go? Also what sort of dilution do you use?

It can't hurt them. Ratio is 10:1 and leave in for a just enough to wet the outside. Don't want to add to the moisture. I guess I would leave the bags open while you are gone assuming you won't be gone a long time (two weeks or more). I am not the expert. I try what seems logical. Doesn't always work although the bleach thing is a fairly common treatment I have read about. I would make sure they are covered with the peaty stuff.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm thinking I might not have enough time tonight to bleach them. Do you think they'll be alright with a little mold on them for a week while I'm gone?

Yes. If it is just the fuzzies let the air get to them. That alone might be enough to kill it off. A week shouldn't hurt them

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, sounds good. I'll leave the bags open then. There was a little condensation on the inside of those two bags anyway. This is a lot of work keeping up with these guys!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, so I dipped all the Dahlia tubers in a bleach solution and cut off a couple of the smaller moldy tubers. Then I put them back in the peat bags and made sure they were covered. I really am glad I get to practice on ones that were free :) All of them seem to be holding up otherwise though. They have stopped desiccating and a half of them have re-hydrated.

That's great news! I'm so glad they've rehydrated for you.

Fort Worth, TX

I had one in the garage that I had dug a couple of weeks before when it froze and it was all dried out so I threw it away. It had shrunk to half inch thick sticks. Would it have rehydrated?

Probably not. Once it gets to a certain point there is no resuscitating them. I had it happen one year to all I had down in the basement, in bags, that I never got around to spraying with water each month.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.