Tell me about my pepper

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I have grown several large bushes of Trinidad Scorpion pepper plants. Before we get a hard freeze tomorrow and again on Thursday, I went ahead and picked a gallon of them. Unfortunately I planted them too late for them to turn red (I grew them for a friend who had seeds). I think they are at their hottest when they are red colored. Most of mine are still green and a few are yellow-orange. They are all good size though, about the diameter of a half dollar.

Has anyone actually tasted this pepper? If so, how hot are they? IF really, really hot, is there a practical use for them.

Ken in NE Mississippi

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Sorry, Ken. i'm not familiar with this one. Maybe someone else will weigh in. If they are really hot, you can make pepper jelly and use as gifts. You could try mixing red food coloring, even if they are green, and making some red and some green jelly. Most of the recipes I have seen use jalapenos or another hot pepper so if you have a hot one on your hands you could use them for sure or mix with some milder peppers.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks. These are way hotter than Jalapeno. Multiply the Jalapeno "heat" by 1,000. Until I experiment some with these, I won't know IF they are simply too hot for any practical use.

One gal said I should wear a bio-hazard suit and respirator when slicing or cooking them! Scary stuff.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Whoa!! Handle with care!! That is very scary stuff you're dealing with! I'd definitely wear some protection when slicing, dicing, and cooking with them.

Sierra Vista, AZ(Zone 8b)

You probably have personal experience by now, but Scorpions are HTH!! I tasted a sliver maybe a 1/32 inch wide and 1/8 inch long and it lit me up good.

I'm not sure why I grow them or Ghost peppers except for the bragging rights.

If you cut many open at once, do it outdoors AND upwind. I did a lot of coughing and gasping, plus runny nose, when I cut and blended some habaneros one time. Just to show me how dumb I was, the dog ran from me when I showed her my gloved hand.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I finally decided I would try these super-hot peppers in a jug of vinegar, and make a "pepper-sauce" using them. I cut one of the peppers in half and put the two halves in a 12 oz vinegar jug. I didn't know how long to leave the pepper so I just tasted the pepper sauce the next day. It was a perfect heat (for me) and not too hot at all. I flushed the two halves down the disposal. Then I had another idea. I like to eat Kosher dill pickles spears with lunch, usually with one-half sandwich and a bowl of soup. So I did the same thing with a full jar of spears. Again, the next day the pickles had a nice zing, but not too much punch. Pepper flushed again.

That was it for me . Two experiments and two successes. My wife through the rest of the peppers away. She said they were rotting but I think she just wanted them out of HER fridge.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Trinidad scorpion peppers were one of the hottest peppers until the new one took the award. They are used to make pepper sprays at full strength. (2 million scoville is pepper spray)
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion 1.2 million scoville/ Trinidad Scorpion Butch T 1.5 million/ and the latest is the Carolina Reaper 1,569,300 scoville.
I would guess as a flavor douse you might be able to enjoy the diluted forms. FYI

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.