I must have planted ... could they be allium?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

There is no question about last year's allium order from American Meadows. I ordered bulbs that we love and some we hadn't yet met. Surprise, surprise. Somehow I expected taller plants and instead had to search for the 6 inch plants, but ok. The blue globes never appeared, and I thought they might be late bloomers when I saw these sprout about 2 weeks ago.

There are 5 plants, standing about 12-15 inches high, producing foliage only. About 3-4 inches on the stem is a collar that is the petiole(?) for the outer leaf, and the foliage has parallel veination, sort of like a scallion, but the leaves are not tubular. At the center of each leaf (tip to base) is a crease.

They appear to be different from everything I recall. I am quite certain they are bulbs planted by yours truly, and the only ones I haven't yet seen are the A. caeruleum, so I wonder if that is what they are.

By the way it is about 40 degrees outdoors, and they don't appear to be affected by the low temps.
Any ideas?

Marcia

Thumbnail by cathy166
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

This might be easier to view as it is a bit lighter.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

They certainly look like onions though not Allium caeruleum.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Maybe baby christophiis?

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I did plant Christophiis two years in a row, but they never appeared. This is pretty late, isn't it? We had snow this a.m., and it was about 26 degrees, so I did not check on them, but yesterday they were still growing....

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I planted alliums and they all seemed to disappear. So I planted some more. Two years later they all appeared and brought friends. I ended up with tremendous clusters of them. I ended up with a couple hundred. I started giving them away. The pictures show the original place from which they disappeared, and where I planted more.

Give them one more year.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.