what to do with naked lady bulbs

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I have about 100 or so of these large bulbs that were in a bad spot and had to be moved. I dug them up but I have no idea where I want them and winter is practically here. What is the best way to store them? Can I just leave them outside on the ground? Cover them with some mulch? Toss them under the house? Do they need water over the winter? I don't know what to do with them! Please advise me so I don't lose them all!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I don't think you can go wrong by putting them in a nice, deep container with soil same depth as you would normally plant. I'd put them on an open deck where they will get rain and/or snow or other precipitation.

If you want to be able to lift the container, I would use multiple smaller containers (window boxes would work). While they are not lilium, I think the treatment is about the same, and that is how I treat my asiatic and oriental lilies.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

You mean just plain dirt like I'd plant them, I don't need some type of potting mix to cover them with? I have to do it fast, it is supposed to be only 30 Tuesday. 65 today!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

If you normally leave them in the ground through the winter, a container with plain soil will work.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.