potting bench set up? how are you set up?

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi All!
I wanted to know what you all keep on your potting bench and how you organize it. I use it for setting up my winter sowing flats and cuttings. My hubby built me a potting bench and now I'm trying to figure out what will be the best thing to outfit it with. I'm thinking of some sort of system for storing the potting soil underneath and maybe some other soil additives like sand, lava rock or peat. It's basically a tall little table 3x4ft. with a little shelf i set on top of it.
I'd love to hear how you guys have yours set up. This is a very basic set up. Just trying to streamline my process so i can do it throughout the day without a big set up and breakdown.
Thanks!
Lydia

Athens, PA

Hi Lydia

My potting bench is quite long - probably 10-12 feet (hubs built it for me for a Valentines' Day gift a number of years ago). I have shelving underneath and on that shelving I have tubs of potting soils and I also keep bags of things like perlite, vermiculite - special soils like African Violet soil and I also have a number of pots on the remaining area of shelving.

I have a small shelf at the upper right side, over my bench, where I keep all of my fertizilers and the like.

Because my potting bench is in the cellar, I utilize the plumbing running against the wall to hang all my basket hangers/house plant trellises.

I do not have running water at my potting bench, so I have to use milk jugs for water - which really is not much of a problem for me.

I mix soils in a very large graniteware wash tub that I found at an estate sale and that is on the left side of the bench.

Currently to the right of where I mix my soils, I have a number of amaryllis in pots sitting there, waiting for me to do something with them. ^_^

I also have a stool that I "use" when I am at the potting bench, but my cat thinks it is his and he is generally down there 'helping me' when I am working at the potting bench, so I generally stand while working.

I would set up your potting bench for what fits best into your routines. I have found that this layout works best for me.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

Hmmmmm great thankyou! I think some smallish rubbermaid containers might be my solution for 'extras'! Thank you.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I'd put some hooks on it to hang your gloves and your garden trowel also.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Mine is l-shaped, in the corner of the garage, running water is a hose hooked up to a sink in the bench. Each side of the l-shape is 6 feet long, with drawers under the benchs, a shelf runs under the drawers and there are plastic bins on the shelves, potting soil etc in the bins. Shop lights with grow lights over the bench. DH went all out building it, said he was going to build it once and done...... He even got me a stool on wheels, and the cats love it, they like to be pushed around on it. garden is right outside the door for easy access. Top of the bench is discarded counter top, with hole cut into it for the sink with faucet, which drains out thru a hose to the outside, and slits to hold the tools.
For two months I was ban from the garage, but at Christmas there was a bow on the new door to the garage with tag on it. Best present I ever got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

WOW Annabelle, that is an AWESOME gift!!! What to go hubby!

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

That is sooooo cool! So my hubby built me one and I love it! I'm so happy. No need to mess the green house up or the kitchen for potting easy clean up. best thing ever.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.