Hosta leaves changed color?

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I got a hosta from MA and at the time it was tiny with only 2 leaves, I assume a seedling from nearby plant. It was dark green with white stripes. I took it back home in NY and all the leaves growing after are light green with no stripe! Does temp affect leaf color?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hostas will go dormant during the winter. And immature seedlings may look quite different once they mature.

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

Quote from ViolaAnn :
Hostas will go dormant during the winter. And immature seedlings may look quite different once they mature.

I know about the dormancy but the color change was middle of summer not even close to being dormant. Ok so color change for maturity makes sense, but if parent plants all had white stripes shouldn't the offspring? They were all same hosta so no possible hosta hybrid.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

One other possibility - some plants will change colour during the season. They may start with white centres (or streaky centres) that gradually green up. (Some go the other way and gradually turn lighter during the season too.) I have one seedling, parentage unknown, which is very misty looking in the spring and which is solid green by the end of the the season.

As far as seedlings go, 99.9% of them will be plain Jane greenies. They do not come true to the parents at all. That's not to say that seedling can't be fun to grow. I have one variegated seedling which is a reverse from the parent. Seedlings from streaked plants are more likely to be streaky which may or may not stabilize into a variegated plant. And you can get characteristics such as ruffly leaves, red petioles, white backs passed along to seedlings too.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I have tons of undulatas, some of which retain their white/green variegation and have for the past 70 years {came from my nana's plants} and others from the original same plants that will have most of their leaves green out. Not sure why. a "greenie" will pop out in the border right next to a variegated one. I don't think they do it year after year once they turn green in a season. I am not sure why.
Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.