Ric's Road to Recovery

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

We don't want to rush you to surgery, but we do want to be prepared to be with you every step of the way!!

I hope that everyone will post at least one joke and piece of advice every day. Hope you can tolerate all our nonsense as well as you put up with whatever needs to be done!

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

May I be the first with a small "ditty" for you, Ric.
I love writing "ditties"...

Ric will be a wreck
But we all will check
To see how he mends
How well he bends
And how many posts
he sends

We'll keep his spirits high
To help the weeks fly by
Till he's back on his feet
trying to work--so discreet
IF Holly will let him.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Wow, Gita, you really set the bar HIGH!

Ric, we'll be thinking of ways to make your surgery easier. This guy might have some good advice:

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Well Jeeeezzzz, I'll never be able to write anything as witty as Gita, but I suuuure can be a good goofball!!! < =D

Let's hope your Dr. performs gentle exams....

Thumbnail by speediebean
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Chuckle, chuckle... Thanks for all the humor and good cheer. Wait till Holly sees this.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Speedie---

If you go back to the Thread in the Soil and Composting Forum--and find the
Thread called--"Poetry on the Pile"--you can read a slew of my "ditties".

I wish this Thread was nor dying a slow death- it was started in 2006.
I have tried hard to keep it going--but there is not much interest.

Lets us MAF people give it a new life!!! This is a challenge from me to you all....
The last post on it was in April. I don't want Adm. to delete this. it is so much fun....

I will edit this to add the link.......Gita

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/881246/#new

This message was edited Nov 7, 2013 10:35 AM

Oh but yes, I have not only seen the poetry thread, but I've shared my own little bits there as well! =)

Now... I was thinking... we all need to keep Ric in our prayers that his team of doctors stays focused and knows just what the heck they're doing during his surgery...

Thumbnail by speediebean
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric: So is tomorrow the big day? I hope the surgery goes really extra-specially well, and that you are home in no time. Knowing you as we all do, the big challenge for Holly will be to stop you from over-doing it during your recuperation....

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Remember no food after midnight!!!
That's about all the helpful advice I (probably) have for you…Sending good vibes your way!!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Hope your surgery is first thing so you do not have too long a wait in the morning! Good vibes for you!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Good luck to you, Ric--and i know that, with Holly's love and caring for you,
you will come through this with flying colors...

You not only have your amazing family to care for you--you also have the
DG family here to hold your hand and walk you through this.

Holding you deep in my heart--and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We're off to see the wizard of OIP. Getting started this early I may not miss the Veterans Day Parade.LOL
I sure hope this guy is a morning person!

Thinking of you today, Ric and Holly!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I knew there was a reason I awoke at 4 am to send some prayers your way.
Via con Dios this Veterans Day.

Sending good thoughts your way today, Ric. Hope it all goes very smoothly!

I once read an article that said the best time for surgery is in the AM because the surgeon has not yet been worn out! Hope you feel well when you read this. My SIL had back surgery (I'm here baby sitting him and his kids while DD is at work. First day after surgery was easy peasy and he was disappointed because next days were tough. All true, except, now he's starting to realize that he will soon be pain free and much better than pre-surgery.

Sending all good energy your way!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ric, you are in my thoughts and prayers this morning while you are undergoing surgery. Hope all is well and you are home and recovering in no time at all.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hope all is well! Thinking about you, and praying for a successful surgery and a quick recovery!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks all. At first the pain was horrifying, but then I. Realized I needed to take a pill and wait for it to work. No juice button for me. Doc said it was big and will take a while. I already noticed some different improvements. Prayers for the Dr. Must be working. Thanks

Ric, it's so good to hear from you, and so soon after the procedure! That's too bad they didn't give you a morphine button, but hopefully the pill is working well for now. I hope they do a good job of keeping the pain under control.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric--You said "it was big"-----WHAT was big???

You out of surgery and posting already?????? WOW!!!!
Didn't expect that!!!

You Da Man!!!! Love, Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The repair was big and will require more time than anticipated to heal completely.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

So good to hear from you Ric! Are you at home already?

Sending virtual hugs to you and Holly. Bless you both.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Praying for your recovery, dear.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Whew...Ric---
I thought they took something out that was "big".....or found something "big"...

How many hours was your surgery?
How are you feeling--really??? All doped up?

Hugs--Gita

Glad it is over and you are well enough to send news. Hope the recovery process is faster than they expected!

Thanks for taking care of our anxieties by getting back to us so quickly. Now you need to concentrate on resting and starting to mend.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mercy...I'm not sure what's going on but sending prayers out and up, Ric!! Hugs

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from ROSES_R_RED :
Thanks for taking care of our anxieties by getting back to us so quickly. Now you need to concentrate on resting and starting to mend.

yup!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Ditto!!!!

Praying you had a restful night!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Good morning. I just posted this over on our Yardening thread, and since it made me think of youall I'm also posting it here. From a poster on Garden web on what to do with fall leaves...

"Back to the question of how to chop the leaves up.

1. Take 2 9-10-yo kids (twins work well for this). Have them rake the leaves up into one very large pile. Leave them alone with said pile for about 4 hours. Have them rake the remains back into a much smaller pile and move to your composting location.

2. Rake the leaves into a fenced corner. Toss a tennis ball into the pile of leaves and let the neighbors' Labrador Retriever(s) go after the ball. When the dogs bring it back to you, throw it into the leaves again. Repeat until the dogs are tired (HA!) or the leaves have been reduced to a much smaller pile.

3. Combine 1 and 2 and have the twins throw the ball for the Labs. "

Hugs to Alphie, too!

Ran these scenes in my head, Judy, and saw everyone having a great time!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ric, how are you feeling this morning? With your hands HA HA HA. Seriously, I hope you are not having much pain, or if you are that the pain meds are kicking in and doing their job.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I second (third, fourth) what everyone else has been saying -- I'm so glad you are well enough to be able to post so quickly. Now the hard part starts -- pain, limited mobility, physical therapy and the very slow mending process.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I second Happy!

Glad to hear you're on the mend, take your time with it.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Glad to hear the surgery is behind you and you are recovering well!

Take good care now, and don't overdo at ANYTHING!
Give things time to heal!

Thanking of you and Holly!
Karen

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi all. This is Holly trying to use the kindle so bear with me. Thanks so much for all the support.
Gita, just loved the poem. Ric did very well yesterday and this morning. PT CAME on this morning and moved him around a bit and he was in quite a lot of pain after that. He got up after lunch to use the bathroom and that started some really serious pain. The nurse had a Resident order more pain meds. He has been sleeping most of the afternoon. The surgery was about 3hrs
Dr said that his back was very bad. The nerves were so compressed that he could see them expanding as they were operating. Just too tired last night to post and since Ric had posted earlier I knew that you all knew he made it out of surgery fine. Holly

So sorry to hear about the pain. :( I hope the docs get the right dosage for Ric. PT can be just brutal!

Soooo glad to hear that the surgery went well and that you're home recovering, but NOT glad about the pain!! Sounds like the nerves are freaking out, being all decompressed now, and it'll just take a bit of time for them to calm down. (nice layman's terms, eh?)

Has the Dr. or nurse suggested taking a pain pill about 1/2 hour before PT is supposed to start? Ya know, just to head it off at the pass. I was told that when I had my brain surgeries (they had to cut through all the muscles and tendons in my neck)... was told to take a pain pill about 1/2 hour before I got up to move around, it would make it easier and less painful, .. and would increase the range of motion. Maybe a question for the Dr. or nurse? I hope it's a helpful suggestion!!

Still keeping BOTH of you in my prayers, PT can be really No-Fun!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We aren't home yet. Will be in hospital for a few more days. Very rough night.Up every 2 hours or so with serious muscle spasms Doc's in several times to add/change meds. Hopefully they will get a handle on it. Dr says they cut the muscles and Sutter (sp) them everything thing he does even lifting his head seems to set off another spasm. They will want him to move around,sit up PT will want another crack at him again. Just getting him to roll over to his back to take his meds was really hard. I spent last night here, don't think I have ever seen him in this much pain.
Holly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.