Daily Bird Pics (and conversation) #454

Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

These pine warblers are so hard to catch sitting still. haha

I like how in the second picture you can compare his little bitty bill to the finches big one.
The pine warblers also have been frequenting my suet.

Thumbnail by JulieQ Thumbnail by JulieQ
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Very nice Julie. Frank, glad your back. Great photos. Hope to see a great horned Owl someday, but am really happy to have gotten these one of the Snowy Owl.

I was to shaky to take the shots, Had to use the frame of a car to steady myself a bit. The weather was to gloomy as well, and a lot came out blurry, but these few shots came out not too, too bad. I will try again, when the weather is better.

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
PERTH, Australia

I'd be shaking too if I saw a Snowy Owl, Burn. Lucky you and congratulations.

Gorgeous little warbler, JulieQ.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Congrats Burn! Those pictures are great in my opinion. The only one I have of a snowy is a little spec waaaaaaayyyyy in the distance. lol.

Oh Julie, how I'd love to see a warbler right now. Of course THEY would not be too happy!

Margaret: Jinx! Twinny.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks you both for the congrats. Marna, I was fortunate enough to have those nice people, that allowed me to take these close shots, in their yard. It was resting on top of their barn.

Very cool!!

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

Nice Snowy Owl.

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

I really enjoy being able to see the goldfinch in the winter. Maybe this year they will stay long enough for me to see some with full color. It does happen sometimes in a cold winter. A few will sometimes stay till the first of April.

Thumbnail by f_chisolm Thumbnail by f_chisolm
Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

I try to get as many photos of the goldfinch, chipping sparrows, pine warblers and juncos as I can during the winter months because I know they will be gone back north too soon. I guess it is much like getting photos of hummingbirds in the summer.

Thumbnail by f_chisolm Thumbnail by f_chisolm Thumbnail by f_chisolm Thumbnail by f_chisolm Thumbnail by f_chisolm
Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

What I see everyday. Cardinals, house finch and mourning doves.

Thumbnail by f_chisolm Thumbnail by f_chisolm Thumbnail by f_chisolm
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Lovely pics. as always Frank. We (you, and and JulieQ) have pretty much the same variety of birds in our back yard I think. Hi everyone, please keep those pics. coming, I'll post mine when I get a chance, I promise. Please stay safe and warm everyone.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Whooper Swan

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I love the Goldfinch too, I have a good number of them this year, compare to the 2 or 3, I usually see in previous years. Nice post Frank And thanks for your comment on the Owl.
Hi Kim.

Quiz: How many Doves is there in the tree, and can you find the mystery bird?

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Quote from burn_2007 :
Quiz: How many Doves is there in the tree, and can you find the mystery bird?

I make it 10 Mourning Doves, but the mystery bird is eluding me!

Resin

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

I see the ten doves and what appears to be a squirrel in the upper right side.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

More then 10 Doves. The bird in question has a long yellow bill, very well hidden. He moved lower, when I took the pix.
Sorry Frank no squirrel.

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

I have got to make that apointment with the eye doctor.

Think I can push it up to 12 doves, but I still can't see the mystery bird. Can't think what would have a long yellow bill in winter in NB, though - birds with long bills (curlews, snipe, etc) tend to avoid very cold winter climates as keeping a long bill warm isn't easy, nor is using it in frozen ground.

Resin

Edit: PS nearly 100 posts, a volunteer to start #455 soon, please!

This message was edited Jan 9, 2014 9:53 AM

Okay then, on to #455!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1346896/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.