Is this Ilex crenata?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

This shrub is growing in dry shady areas in a park near my house. I think it's Ilex crenata, rather than a native look-alike, but I'd like to confirm it. Could it be anything else?
BTW, I tried to put these photos in order, but the gremlins in the computer were not inclined to cooperate.

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think you are correct with Ilex crenata - a female plant.

I see crenate margined leaves, alternately arranged, with blue/black fruit.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks,VV. I'm beginning to feel like I live in Japan.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

kind of sad isn't it?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

It is sad. The native plants might have a chance of competing with the NNIS if the deer didn't eat them. When I went on a walk with the VA native plant society, someone pointed out some tiny euonymus americanus that will never get more than a few inches high. I've started to assume that a plant is non-native if the deer aren't browsing it.

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Around here strawberry bush (euonymus americanus) is as common as pig tracks. I regularly have to remove 2' -3' plants from flower beds along woody edges. Deer are also common here; but they have plenty of browse in the form of cultivated crops so they pretty much leave me alone.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Interesting. The area in which I saw the small plants did not have much by way of alternatives for the deer to eat, whereas the deer in our neighborhood have tasty plants that people try to grow in our yards. So, maybe it would be possible to get them to grow in the woods near my house, especially if grow them where they are protected by a raspberry patch.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from raisedbedbob :
Around here strawberry bush (euonymus americanus) is as common as pig tracks..

Same applies here . . . no Euonymus americanus, and no pig tracks.

;-)

Resin

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Bob, you're talking about wild pig/hog tracks, right? If you have those around you, there probably are coyotes killing off the deer, too. Around here, only two things kill deer: cars, and the occasional deer cull.

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Well now, for all you city folks, "Common as pig tracks" is an old timey country expression from the era when just about everybody who had even a small piece of land kept pigs for family consumption and some market sales to bring in a little much needed money. Pig tracks really were common!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

And that ranks right in there with "rare as hen's teeth."

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Yep, and describing folks who aren't fancy dressers and don't have airs about them, "Plain as an old shoe"; and no, its not an insult.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from ViburnumValley :
And that ranks right in there with "rare as hen's teeth."

Except that someone bred some hens that did have teeth.

Apparently, all birds still have the genes to produce teeth (a hangover from when they were dinosaurs), but the genes for producing them are 'switched off' in modern birds. All the geneticists did was to switch these exsisting genes back on in some hen embryos, and they produced hens with teeth.

Resin

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Why in the world did they want to produce hens with teeth? Was it just to find out whether it was possible?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Chickens with teeth!? That's nightmare material.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I hope the person who did that to the poor chicken then woke up the next day with a tail.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

ha ha ha Very funny!

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

On the other hand...hens with teeth no longer have to eat granite/grit to macerate their food.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

So true!!

To go back to Bob's "common as pig tracks" saying, it might become more than an expression soon. There's a lot on the Internet about it, like http://www.trentonian.com/living-things/20131125/the-most-invasive-animals-in-the-us-are-pigs.

I think I'd better stop complaining about deer !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.