Albino Pumpkin?

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I know white pumpkin cultivars are available, but what would a naturally occurring albino pumpkin look like? Would it be pure white with green stem, or more like an orange cream color with white stem?

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I don't think it would fruit at all. An albino plant -- one totally missing chlorophyll -- doesn't survive past the seedling stage because it can't photosynthesize.

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

Quote from NicoleC :
I don't think it would fruit at all. An albino plant -- one totally missing chlorophyll -- doesn't survive past the seedling stage because it can't photosynthesize.

I mean just albino fruit, not leaves.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Parts of plants (leaves, stems) can sport and show variegation, but I don't know that an albino fruit ever occurs.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I don't think it's possible to have a true albino fruit on a healthy plant. You could have a sport that happens to be colored white, but in that case you could have various colors of stem, seeds, rind, etc. depending on the genetics that led to the mutation.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Lumina Pumpkins are pure white on the outside and orange inside.
Botanical Name: Cucurbita maxima 'Lumina'

Height: 24 in ches

Spacing: 5-8 feet between hills

Depth: 2 in

Spread: 12-15 foot vine

Sun/Shade: Full Sun

Yield: 5-8 fruits/ vine

Foliage: FOLIAGE: GREEN, VINE

Days To Maturity: 95 days

http://www.gurneys.com/product/lumina_pumpkin

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

there are several white varieties of pumpkins but am not aware of an albino fruit on an otherwise orange pumpkin variety

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.