boxwoods

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Im wondering what the average life span of boxwoods are and how small can I contain them? If I plant a row of them, can I keep them at say 3-4 feet in height?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

When they're happy, they can grow quite old.
Boxwoods adapt well to pruning, but dwarf/slow growing varieties exist also.
Some are painfully slow growers and would take many years to get to 3ft.
But the more common varieties grow faster & would require pruning to stay that size,
but certainly doable.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I agree with everything Weerobin wrote.

The 'Green Gem' selection is a good one for relatively small foliage and small(er) size, that is pretty commonly available. There are likely a handful of others suited for southern MO - the Missouri Botanical Garden probably has a recommended list.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the replies. I will look into a finding a smaller variety for the space I have. I didn't realize there were slowing growing ones. I don't want anything that will get too large. Thanks!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Years ago, I planted boxwoods that were labeled "Korean Wintergreen". Unlike the one pictured in the DG plant files, they are not at all yellow.
One of them will not grow above 3 feet, and I think it's because it's the only one with room to flop, which Korean boxwoods tend to do. I have to prune the others so they don't get taller than the flopper or block part of the sidewalk. If you like the floppy look and space them so they can flop, you probably would never have to prune them.
They are easy to maintain in full sun. They have done fine without water in drought summers, although they do get spider mites when it hasn't rained for awhile. Blasts of water control those.

Warrenton, VA

I am MOST IMPRESSED with my purchase of five "Green Ice" boxwoods. I got mine small, which is no problem as they grow about 4' a year (easily), and should mature at four feet. No pruning needed, very nice dark-green/blue, and healthy-looking all year 'round.
I've had them for three years now, and would certainly buy more if I could cram them in somewhere. Best of all, they DON'T brown-out in the winter!
Oh, these guys are GREAT, and there was one time when I swore I would NEVER buy a boxwood...(too much sniffing them when I was a young girl, around Williamsburg, and thought their scent was horrible - now I have acquired the appreciation for the musky scent).

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Check your post: you bought them small; they grow about 4' a year...; should mature at four feet.

??? Maybe you meant they grow 4" a year...

Warrenton, VA

Ha! VV - you are RIGHT! Too many hours at the computer - and very appreciative that you found out the mistake. Thank you! Those boxwoods grow 4 INCHES a year, conservatively. They have always looked so healthy, and absolutely NO maintenance. That is a shrub with much going for it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.