Infused Vinegar Still Good?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Some years back (early 2000s) I purchased a number of bottles of vinegar, the highly decorative kind stuffed with brightly colored and artistically positioned items such as chili peppers and slices of oranges and lemons. At the time, I bought them purely for decorations. They were so beautiful on the kitchen counter and over the cabinets.

The fruits slices and peppers in those bottles retained their brilliant color for years, due in part to the citric acid included in the mix and the fact that the bottles were well sealed and never opened. Now, however, the items in the vinegar have finally begun to loose their brilliance, becoming dull in color. I'm guessing those bottles of infused vinegar are some 6 to 8 yrs old now.

My question is, is it still safe to use the vinegar? I haven't yet opened any of the bottles. I did take them down and wipe them off. I would like to taste them to see if they even taste good enough to keep, but before I do I thought I would ask your opinion of the safety of tasting the vinegar after all this time. I should add that they are all in glass bottles which are sealed much like wine. The bottles are corked with a foil seal around the neck of the bottle and encasing the cork.

In addition to those bottles of vinegar, I also have 3 large and ornate bottles of infused oils: sunflower or olive oil with sprigs of rosemary, chili peppers, and other items. The 3 bottles of infused oil were imported from Italy. I purchased them (not at a low price, I might add) for their beauty but now lament that I failed to enjoy those delicious oils on bread, salads, etc. The bottles are well sealed and have never been opened. Can I now taste and possibly use these infused oils?

Thanks very much for any info you might be able to offer. :-)

If it will help, I can provide pics. The dimming of the colors has greatly diminished the beauty of these bottles of infused vinegar and oils, but I'm happy to provide pics if you will to see the level of deterioration of the contents.

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!