That one plant

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

What's that one plant you want in your garden, but it's not? It absence could be for a variety of reasons, but the bottom line is you just can't seem to make it happen.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Viburnum molle...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

That's a surprise. I would think they'd do just fine in your little slice of heaven. What's the problem?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

BTW, I didn't realize the bark on V. molle was that nice. Griseum-like.

I am absolutely certain that they will.

Bottom line is as you stated above - just haven't made it happen (yet).

The bark is quite striking. I would have said Oakleaf Hydrangea-like.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

OK, here's mine: http://www.katsuragardens.com/na-42

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sunflowers

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Pseudo, I also think the variegated cornus controversa is beautiful.
But I can attest to it's fussiness as I've killed half a dozen trying to get it to grow here.
The straight species grows fine.
I hear there are some newer variegated cultivars which are less fussy ('Janine', etc).

My other great frustration is franklinia's refusal to grow in my yard.
Certainly not for lack of trying.
But I've now got a 2yr old 'x gordlinia grandiflora' (franklinia x gordonia) which looks great.
It put on robust new growth this summer and sailed through last winter fine.
It's fall color was spectacular. So I'm hoping it will be a keeper. Time will tell.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Filip's Golden Tears'
Filip's Golden Tears Lawson Cypress

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Weerobin ~ You tried Cornus controversa 'Variegata' six times with no success!? That's either admirable perseverance or stubborn foolishness. Let's go with the former. BTW, what was/were the cause(s) of death? Any lessons learned? Are you familiar with the term Lucky 7? C'mon, just one more time...

I've never tried Franklinia, but I'm guessing it would not be a happy ending. Still, I should try it at least once. Who has had success with Franklinia?

Dybbuk ~ Is it lack of availablilty that keeps C. l. 'Filip's Golden Tears' out of reach for you? I just looked at a picture of it looks like a Lawsonia version of P. omorika 'Pendula Bruns'.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, 'Filip's Golden Tears' isn't offered yet in the states. I see a handful of sites listing them so hopefully next year. I have 'Filip's Tearful' now but love the yellow. I just got another elusive conifer I've been waiting for, Pice abies 'Rydal'. Google it and see its demeanor. 🔴🔴🔴RED🔴🔴🔴

More so than 'Cruenta' and 'Rubra Spicata'

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Pseudo and Weerobin-I also think C. controversa 'variegata' is fabulous, and I am saving the last spot in my yard for "the Wedding Cake Tree". They seem to be a hard to find, without spending a fortune on shipping a tree halfway across the country, or taking a 12 hour drive to the next state. My new plan is to ask a local nursery for a branch to try my hand at a hardwood cutting (they have a spectacular tree but do not sell any. They say they are 'hard to find'). If they root I will give you each one-Weerobin maybe they are easier if planted while still small. Total experiment, as when I called one nursery said they are usually propagated by grafting.

(Zone 7a)

Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead.'

http://www.kiginursery.com/dwarf-miniatures/pinus-thunbergiana-thunderhead-japanese-black-pine/

I would love the have any of your plants you listed but this one has had my heart for awhile.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Something to make humans feel insignificant. Like this 57 metre Abies grandis.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That is truly majestic. Its natural range in the U.S. seems to limited to the Pacific Northwest. Does it grow well in your area?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep - the UK climate is very similar to the PNW climate, so it's right 'at home' here.

And anything that can reach 57 metres tall is by default doing well! ;-)

Resin

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Good point!
Northumberland looks like a beautiful place to live, by the way.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I've never seen Abies grandis (at least that I know of), but I was fortunate enough to spend a couple weeks on the west coast taking in the splendor of Sequoia sempervirens. Standing next to one of these giants does make you feel insignificant, which is a good thing. I don't want to go all druid on you, but I felt a spiritual connection that I'm not sure I've ever experienced before.

You need to hang with your sisters more...

If you indeed head to the Sierras some time soon, you should get to see this one at the Eddy Arboretum. Then swing south to Calaveras Big Trees State Park, and see some additional celebrity conifers.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=551

And don't thank me - thank Désiré Fricot...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from ViburnumValley :
You need to hang with your sisters more...

They've given up on me, but I haven't given up on them.

I delicately broached the subject of next summer's vacation destination, but my spouse adroitly cut me off and explained why we need to see Boston. Since neither of us has been to beantown (she's seen Yosemite and Kings Canyon), I was no match for her persuasive ways. It looks like Young Man will be heading east...

Make sure to visit the Mount Auburn Cemetery there-it is not only an interesting historical place, it is a huge Arboretum!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and Fenway Park :)

Go Sox

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I would say for me it would be the following:

Sequoia sempervirens - should have gotten it when I planted all my trees but didn't...I do have its two cousins though....
Loropetalum chinense - zone
Populus tremuloides - space reasons...

Speaking of Boston/Beantown/Bosox...

I'm headed there Nov. 12-19 for the ASLA conference. Mt. Auburn is scheduled, as is a dutiful visit to the Arnold Arboretum. Can't think of too much else to do.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

leaves are pretty much down now - I still have a lot of raking to do if you want some exercise?

and there is always tower hill - http://www.towerhillbg.org/

Sounds like I could find something interesting there...

Warrenton, VA

kwanjin, I was so fortunate to find a Thunderhead Pine, and guess what. It was in the "TLC" lot! Unreal, huh. The leader was damaged (gone), and it was a bit flat on one side, but what the heck...so of course I bought it, and we've had it for just 1 1/2 years now. The thing has grown so lush, and it is almost black! My husband named it "Mon-Row," (his southern accent) after Bill Monroe, the country singer (don't ask - he likes the pine so whatever name is fine with me and he paid for it after all!). By the way, we really do not see any problem with the missing leader, as we don't need a perfect pine, and it seems more than capable of outgrowing that problem.
All I can say is, Monroe has a true personality, is getting quite fat and happy, and so LUSH. He can sprawl all over where we planted him, and I just LOVE to see him when I go outside in the morning for my commute...what long needles, and those neat "candles..."
No wonder you love 'em. I never knew they existed, until that fateful day...
You can figure on very good growth rate as well. We love our Monroe, and wish that you will one day have one to love as well.

My one plant that I am lusting over? I guess it would have to be a mature, stately oak tree. How majestic, how useful for so many reasons!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Embothrium coccineum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54219/
Hard to find, difficult to propagate. Need it, want it.
pic in Seattle

Thumbnail by growin

Ooooh. Embothrium coccineum might just be my "one" too. I would have to give up the Wedding Cake Tree plan but I think either one would work in that last spot.
Growin-Far Reaches Farm lists these, or I could get seeds from Plant World Seeds-they say they are already stratified. I would share seeds with you if you like. I just cleaned up my old cold frame today. I haven't used it in years but now I am ready to sow.

(Zone 7a)

Gracye, so glad you were able to find one. I could order one from one of our local growers but they're so pricey! And I don't think it would like our horrid clay soil, either. Enjoy yours and I'll just have to admire pictures. ^_^

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Bayberry (Ilex glabra)...I had totally forgotten about it until I began thinking about what I could plant now that I have more sun. I also was concerned that it would be hard to ensure that I got a male in addition to females, but I just saw that there are paired cultivars available.

Ilex glabra is supposed to be deer resistant. Does anyone have experience growing it in an area with a heavy deer population?

I can probably squeeze in some service berries now too...time to hit the garden center sales!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Muddy, I've heard ilex glabra called inkberry, but never bayberry.
I think of myrica pennsylvanica as being bayberry.
I have ilex glabra (whatever you want to call it) and I don't recall seeing deer damage.
They are probably full from eating everything else in my yard...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, inkberry, of course! I had bayberry on the mind, because I already have 3 of those and was going to mention them.
Thanks for letting me know they don't eat your inkberry. That's a good sign!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I actually have 5-6 myrica pennsylvanica: 3 large ones that I bought at a garden center, and 2-3 seedlings that our county sold for about a dollar each. I have no idea whether I have a mix of males and females, though, because I just planted them all this past spring. I guess I'll find out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.