Is this a baby?

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Everyone,

I read this forum but have never posted. I love all the hibiscus pictures everyone posts!

I went to a park a few months ago and saw this beautiful hibiscus that I really liked. I "trimmed" ;-) the plant and took a clipping home. I rooted it and it was going strong for about 2 months, new growth and all. I was sick for a few days and the plant dried out, but I couldn't let it go. I continued to water it, hoping for some signs of life. Something has popped up close to the base of the clipping and I am wondering if possible that sign I was looking for...maybe something growing from the base, underground?

I did some online research and to me it does kind of look like a hibiscus seedling. I wanted to know what you gurus thought? Pic #1 is the mystery growth and #2 is a pic of the bloom my hubby took for me. If anyone could identify it, that would be great as well! I think it might be a Hibiscus moscheutos 'Luna Blush' but not sure.

Thanks,
Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks like it to me. Have several myself. Good luck.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

It looks like it to me as well Shauna! I've had rescue plants I've planted and subsequently lost all their leaves, I thought they'd be doomed but my patience paid off. They're even more special when you've nursed them back to vigor.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

It has another leaf and seems to be doing well. I was hoping (and had my fingers crossed) that it was a hibiscus seedling and not a weed. This started from a clipping I took and I was so upset to see the clipping die back.

Looks like it is sending up a branch from underground roots.

Below are my 3 seed sown Hibiscus. Photo taken in August.

Thumbnail by
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Blomma, that white one you have looks very similar to the bloom I took that cutting off of.

shauna1219,
Here is closeup of the white one. All mine was seed sown

Thumbnail by
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

That does look very similar to the plant I took the clipping off of. I thought it was so pretty, the white blending into the pink, with the bright red center.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.