Z6 shrub

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Either my spouse or I (I forget which of us it was) just came up with a brilliant idea to plant a choice small shrub on the east side of home where the dryer AND furnace vents terminate. We're thinking this site could possibly support as z6 (higher?). Marginal soil, but well drained. Very easy to maintain on this site, and would get the desirable morning sun and afternoon shade. Just how I like it. Does this idea sound crazy? If it's a great idea, I'll take credit for it. If not, it was hers. ;)

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Oh, you must have Kalmia latifolia.

Or maybe Paxistima canbyi...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I've got a Kalmia, but it refuses to grow. Can Kalmia die and stay green...'cause I think that's what happened with this one. But that's a great idea. I could just move dwarf Kalmia to the sweet spot. BTW, Josh Horky gave it to me. Supposedly hardy in Duluth.

I'm not familiar with Canby's Mountain Lover, but the UConn site lists it as z4, possibly z3. I want to zone stretch the other way. ;)

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

John, I've had a chance to look a little deeper at Paxistima and I like what I'm seeing. A rare and possibly endangered native shrub would definitely be worth a shot, especially where I'm looking to plant. Is it native in the Blue Grass?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

It is native to eastern counties of Kentucky, in the Cumberlands to the Appalachian region.

That's close enough for most of us, but it is not a plant we'd typically try to grow on the clay soils of the inner Bluegrass - wherein lies the Valley.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.