Tribute to a True and Faithful Companion

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

Almost 10 years ago I learned that some of the Northern Neck hunters discard their hunting dogs at the end of the season. I met Rufus one morning while out walking with a neighbor and her three dogs. He followed and ultimately came home with me. From that time on, Rufus was always by my side. Where I went he went. No one could ask for a sweeter or more loving friend.

Rufus was a hound through and through. If you wanted him to do something, he might not want to but if you’re really sure he’ll comply and go along with you.

Not too long after he came to live with us, we were walking in the woods near our home. Rufus got ahead of me and I could hear him baying off in the distance. When I caught up with him, I found out he was baying at a baby possum and kept baying. He was telling me to do something about the critter he’d found. When I couldn’t get him to leave, I hurried home to get his lead. I was almost there when something made me turn around and here comes Rufus with the possum in his mouth. His attitude seemed to be “well, if you won’t take care of it back there, I’ll bring it to you”. I thought he’d killed it but to my surprise the possum was just fine once I took Rufus to the back yard and gave the possum enough time to quit playing “possum” and get away.

There have been many other funny episodes with my buddy. One that both Morris and I still laugh about is his penchant for shoes. He would not tear them up; he just liked stealing them. The first time we learned about this quirk was when a neighbor came to visit and left her shoes on the front porch. When she came out to go home, her shoes were gone. We scoured the yard and there they were – unharmed. A short time later a workman came to the house and left his big heavy work boots on the porch. It was the same story – the shoes disappeared into the yard. Now how he got those heavy boots into his mouth, I still wonder about. Of course, the funniest was the time we went to Hughlett Point and were walking along the beach. Rufus was running ahead of us when we heard a man yelling. Rufus had snuck in and took one of his shoes next to his beach towel. It took quite a time of chasing Rufus to get him to drop it.

Now ten years later Rufus is so sick and is at the Kilmarnock Animal Hospital. When we took him there yesterday, I was convinced he was on his last legs. He had gotten into and eaten 16 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate and was really really sick. Thankfully, Dr. Mulleneaux was on duty and confirmed that something was very wrong with him and kept him overnight. The doctor seems to think the chocolate was just a coincidence because he shouldn’t be this sick from it. I don’t know where we go from here but I’m praying that my true and faithful companion will be with me for a while longer.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, I think Rufus had been suffering from kidney failure for some time and I didn’t realize it. The doctor said that his kidney’s were shot and there was no coming back from that. So I did the really hard thing and was with Rufus when they put him to sleep. The hole in my heart is enormous. Rest in Peace, my true and faithful companion. They’ll never been another one like you.

Rufus: December 9, 2003 to October 16, 2013

This thread has 20 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!