Help my African violet seedlings

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I started my African violet seeds in a clear plastic container with no bottom drainage and had it covered with clear plastic wrap. All my seeds sprouted and the seedlings were doing great, I gently misted them with water using a spray bottle and re covered with plastic wrap. Did this a few times with no problems, but then yesterday I did this and I wake up today and 99% of my seedlings died! They were very important because there from a flower that stopped blooming and I wanted to hybridize it.

I don't know what I did wrong, they seem waterlogged how the stems rotted but why now did this happen and not before? Was I not supposed to cover with plastic? How do you water tiny seedlings if I have no bottom drainage, which most breeders use so it must be me.

Think I have like 7 left I want to save them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If they seem "waterlogged" I'd gently prick them out and transplant ASAP. Put them in medium that's just *barely* moist (if you squeeze it together in your hand, it forms a clump that falls apart when you open your hand to a flat palm again). Covering is great, but not if things get too wet, as you discovered. I like to see the barest breath of "mist" on the inside of the plastic cover, but definitely no droplets of condensation.

Good luck!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I agree with what critter said . . .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.