conifer transplant

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I've got a small Picea orientalis 'Skylands' that I'd like to move and replace with a P. omorika 'Gotelli Weeping', which I can purchase right now at a very reasonable price. I believe the Skylands is growing in too much shade, and hoping the P. ormorika will perform better in this condition. Two questions: First, is there any harm in moving a small conifer this time of year? Second, can P. omorika handle moderate-heavy shade?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a picea omorika (diff't cultivar) in too much shade.
15yrs ago when I planted it, it was sunny.
Alas, all the neighboring trees grew taller - who knew?
The picea is still alive, but doesn't look great.
I think yours will be happier with more sun.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks for sharing your Serbian experience. The information I was able to gather this weekend would indicate that orientalis is more shade tolerant than omorika, so I'll probably leave the Skylands where it is. The idea was to enjoy this beautiful spruce near the end of driveway, but also to hide an LP tank in our neighbors yard across the street. It seems healthy enough, but loses its golden color quickly in late spring/early summer. I suspect that would change given a bit more sun. It's kind of a diva plant as It needs some sun, but not too much sun. They should've named it P. o. 'Goldilocks'. It's still very small and painfully slow growing, but I'm willing to be patient as long as it doesn't become scraggly.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You just need more viburnums, P. No diva/fussiness/Goldilocks among the lot. More like hardy peasant and pioneer stock. Going where no man's gone before. Exploring new worlds.

Your 'Skylands' would look pretty awesome with 'Alleghany' or 'Pragense' as a backdrop...even a Burkwood.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Whatever the problem, viburnum is the answer. A plant of the people, by the people, and for the people. Lincoln blew it when he didn't mention viburnum at Gettysburg...

I did see 'Pragense' at MOBOT. Late December visit and it was stunning.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.