Swamp Rose Mallow planting requirements?

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

Swamp Rose Mallow flourishes in damp soil, but can it be planted in a garden not near water? Plants love full sun but usually if your garden gets full sun the soil isn't very damp.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Mine aren't in moist soil perform fine. They don't grow as big or with as many blooms as they do with more water, but still do alright.
Barb

That's good to know, thanks!

Belton, TX

I have the native mallows in full sun...adding a buried soaker hose for those times when the plants need extra moisture...have not had to use the hose for the past two years and the plants and blooms are huge...I haven't seen any size difference to those planted in more moist areas such as Houston or beside a water feature...even the Neches Hibiscus does well under the soaker hose and heavy mulch...

Quote from txaggiegal :
I have the native mallows in full sun...adding a buried soaker hose for those times when the plants need extra moisture...have not had to use the hose for the past two years and the plants and blooms are huge...I haven't seen any size difference to those planted in more moist areas such as Houston or beside a water feature...even the Neches Hibiscus does well under the soaker hose and heavy mulch...

I have a few extra seeds of the swamp rose mallow from a pink plant, I could send you some for free if you'd like since you said they grow good by you. I have a photo of the parent plant if you'd like to see to.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.