Herbal sleep tonic ?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Was wondering if anyone knows a good one .. or any .. ?

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Texas Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Chamomile is known to be a sleep herb. Hops is another potent sleep herb as well. Either as an herbal tea or better yet, a combination. Sleepy Time is one of my faves.

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/sleepytime-teas/sleepytime

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Pends on frame of mind too- chamomile is used a good bit, but the teas dont work as suggested on me, add milk to the tea -bloody English style- and many say they do feel comfortably drowsy. I just am happy with my hands around a good cup of tea and ready to meet next curve

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ummm havent tried it, but sipping a tart chery juice(like Montmorency cherries) is supposed be better than teas and milk for insomnia

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I was wondering and appreciate the info , The Dandelion or Chicory leaves added seemed to make me groggy , ( I don't stay asleep long though when I do )
It seems there might be something that would , I enjoy a good tea anyway..

Some say Cranberries for that and other , cherries would make sense there as to that . Similar mineral content and amount ,
Only looking for that some little something .. it's there ,

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Cautions if allergic to daisies and meds make reactions different...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well I can drink stinging nettle , eat dandelions and chicory . and lettuce . I don't have to worry much about FDA approved for consumable .
Well)))) 98% of the time anyway ..

OOPS FORGOT ; The chicken and melon thing ,, you have heard .. Our friend Sal , that leaves you aching or plain leaving..

This message was edited Oct 12, 2013 10:57 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Shake head, Sal harder on ckn than melon, and i suspect our sal local strains of going after the new guys in town for some of that misery. Just make sure you keep clean water with lo bacteria for both melon and ckn!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Aw ju, you have a constitution like a steel drum, don't you? :)

I love to graze from my yard. Of course, common sense is required. Always.

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

I have been drying lemon balm for several years for tea and it has a relaxing effect. Sage is also good for respiratory infections as it has a mild diuretic effect; but it's not a great tasting tea. I add honey and have gotten used to it because it is so helpful for me. Lemon balm is good enough to drink anytime, and it's easy to grow.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I agree. I grow Lemon Balm and drink it as a tea. Yummy!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have that growing also , My inside supply died on me though ,,, Hoping it lives outside for freezer bags next year ..
Nettle and Burdock , and the catnip I can keep (and am keeping) in the freezer ..

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

Juhur, Here's what works for me - easy peasy. I cut the stalks, throughout the growing season and hang them to dry. strip the leaves, and store them in in a Quart mason jar with a labeled paper circle in the ring. It keeps fine and about a quart will last me to the summer/ fall crop. I also dry dill and oregano this way as they also seem to retain good flavor, just smaller jars. I experimented with mint, and bergamot for teas this past summer, and it seems to work fine with them - though I haven't used them as much yet.

I tried drying basil, parsley --yech! My easy solution now for those is to pick them and grind in food processor with some olive oil, and then freeze - spread it out into a pint freezer ziplock bag, and then you can literally break off a chunk as needed. It stays green and tasty for cooking. I got these ttips from various internet sites that I cannot now locate. Sorry - but I did find some useful information on gardener's supply, and about gardening.com web site - just not the ones i used.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have trouble hanging herbs to dry , people bump into them critters climb and get to them .
When there is room in the freezer it works best , quick no time , and done ..

Realizing of course hanging and drying , stems upside down and all .makes a better oil , Therefore depending on how your using the Herbs , it is the preferred method of drying ,
I'm not professional or selling them , only using them myself ,,,
Ideas of any kind are always great though ! especially when you have or get one that works real well for you !!!^_^

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Valerian root is supposed to work, but I haven't tried it yet myself as I don't have enough of it growing to harvest any so far. If you have cats though, be careful as a lot of them react to it and it seems to make some of them aggressive.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Some of these I have tried , with some regularity , some are pretty good .
I was thinking about this today as I was gathering Burdock ,young leaves and Stinging Nettle . for tea , My Lemon mint has not returned , Peppermint has only one tiny sprig showing , ,
Weeds love me though ! lol ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.