tips for growing Sage in Central TX?

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

I have no problems at all growing salvia, but culinary sage has not fared well under my watch. Suggestions?

The one I really want to grow is Berggarten, but if there is another that works better for the hot, humid summers here, I'm all ears.

Please advise?
Thank you in advance!

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1337070/#ixzz2h7r7Qwyc

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Try a spot where only one variety has at least 3 to 5 plants, and air- maybe getting late afternoon shade. Golden sage did alright, tho I havent attempted Bergartten. That is what gardening is- growing what you know isnt goin to work, dedicatedly, chuckle.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

So much trial and error. With an emphasis on error. I got my TX Master Gardener certification, and on the first day of class, the instructor told us that the mark of a true master gardener is how many thousands of plants she has killed. :~) I must be a Genius level gardener.

Belton, TX

Hi again, Dollie...I got tired of treating the culinary sage as an annual or short-term, looks really ragged perennial...I now have 2 Greek Salvias, one Turkish one, and one from North Africa that are highly scented salvias, drought-tolerant, and great for cooking. I really enjoy the sagey scent and the fact that the flavors hold in cooking...and...after 4 years, they seem to be bothered by nothing..they even take full Texas sun!...

Your Extension Agent is paraphrasing Sally Wasowski...she said many times that the way she learned what was hardy and viable was if it 'made' it in Texas...or not!...and laughed about watching several thousand plants expire...it took me a while to figure out that the tricky part was not to keep doing the same thing...planting same plant...over and over again...something about definition of insanity...so look for a different solution to the problem...LOL

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Aggiegal, can you tell me what cultivars you have planted? I really love to cook with it, and use it in herbal meds. And if these can tough it out here in TX, then we'll be set. I'll go see Plant Files and try to find them, but if you know the names of the cultivars you have, send 'em along, pretty please.

Funny you should mention the definition of insanity...I just posted something about that yesterday. :~P

Belton, TX

I did not make myself clear. These are not hybrid cultivars. These are native plants to those countries that have been used for seasoning for hundreds of years....and you will have to look beyond the Plantfiles, which is, to say the least, limited.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Oops. Cool. Thanks! I'll try to track them down and not accidentally poison myself. Heheh.

Belton, TX

No poison...the trick is ensuring that the plants are raised organically...I will have several of them available in the spring...Good Luck!

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

If I can purchase them from you, or if there's anything on my admittedly meager trade list that you want, let me know? Thanks.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Think I need to chase down a Gentian sage. Pineapple sage plants space 4' apart, rich well draining soil, cannot tolerate a hard freeze- if in a pot must be a 12" to 14" pot. doont plant near cukes. ok to plant by carrots. can spread by runner roots... K, memory dump complete

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.