Got my first Vanda!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

So excited! Got my first Vanda Friday. It's a Vanda Tesselata Blue x self says the tag. It's smallish in size but nice. I never see Vandas where I am so had to get it online.

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
north coast nsw, Australia

cool, looks like it has alot of roots. They need alot of watering..ive been keeping mine to dry and there fine but not much new root growth, ive just started watering them heaps more and new roots are coming out everywhere now.
Ive got a cross with yours in it. Think yours will have more of a blue lip though.

Thumbnail by breeindy

Thanks Bree! I just ordered some Maxicrop too, I hear it works wonders.

Tom

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

My Vanda only seems happy when she hangs outside in the summer. Just no way to keep her humid enough in the house. I dunk the roots into my watering can weekly & mist it a couple times a day when indoors.

Well mine is in my bathroom with a west facing window. When my maple tree drops it's leaves it will move to the south window for more light.

north coast nsw, Australia

Vandas like alot of light, i wouldnt have thought you could grow them happily inside. But they def. dont like the cold either.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

A properly placed window - eastern or southern exposure - can supply as much light to plants as plants growing under large shade trees such as oak (white oak, pin oak, water oak, live oak). A western exposure is OK but you need to watch out for that mid to late afternoon sun. This is not nearly as critical during the late-fall and winter months, but this exposure in the spring/summer can badly sunburn your plants.

Understood! Thanks for the tips folks!

I also have a Ascocentrum Mona Church coming. In Spike!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.