Bulbs not flowering?

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

A year or two ago I planted some crocus, daffodil, tulip, and lily bulbs, great size and ready to bloom next year. Most of them sprouted and got green leaves but never flowered. Some I waited two years but all I get is green leaves. Why won't they flower?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Are your feeding them? Are they getting enough sun? They are the 2 major reasons why plants do not flower.

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

Quote from tommyr2006 :
Are your feeding them? Are they getting enough sun? They are the 2 major reasons why plants do not flower.

They are getting plenty of sun, our soil isn't the best so you might be right, I never even thought to feed them! Does it count if they are dormant and I fed summer plants growing right near where the bulbs are buried, that I have done. I'll fertilize next spring its worth a try!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

If they're dormant they won't use food so wait until spring.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I would give them a light dose of bulb food in the fall and early spring. You can also use a general plant food for flowering plants that waters into the ground.

All of those bulbs winter well in this area. Have any of them bloomed? Do they have sufficient water and drainage?

You can always try digging up a couple of bulbs and put them into a large container (with good drainage) with fresh potting soil in the same area as a control group. Digging up a few bulbs will also tell you the condition of those bulbs, i.e, critter damage.

I assume the summer flowering plants are not perennials?
Marcia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.