CLOSED: Fall Round Robin Seed Swap 2013 - Interest

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Greetings!

My name is Amanda, and I will be your host for the 2013 Fall Round Robin Seed Swap!

Signup will close on November 1.

The Robin will take flight on November 10, 2013.

We collect fresh seed from our own gardens to share with each other.

Here is a thread to list "Haves" and "Wants"
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1337395/

There are not many rules for the Robin but only a few to which we MUST adhere.

NO EXCEPTIONS!

* All seed put into the Robin MUST be from 2011 or later.
* All seed put into the Robin MUST be clearly identified by the participant with your name, the common name and botanic name of the plant species, and the YEAR of harvest.
* Do our honest best to avoid duplication. Only so much seed will fit in the Robin. If there are already 30 packets of purple coneflower in the Robin, we're not likely to need 15 more.

Fresh commercial seed is welcome too.

This is to ensure seed quality and high germination rates consistent with fresh seed
and
to foster RESPECT and TRUST among fellow participants.

I want to be sure that WYSIWYG (pronounced whizzywhig) (meaning "what you see is what you get"). It can be confusing and frustrating to obtain seed from the Robin expecting to grow "tall purple bog sage" and to get yellow geraniums instead (using personal experience here). It is a RARE occurrence, but it does happen.

Let's avoid confusion and frustration whenever possible. :D

As many of you know Susie (deejay9) has hosted this swap for the past UMPTEEN years!

I hope to serve this time honored tradition with the same high standards and genuine enthusiasm that Susie has shared with us as former participants. Thank you Susie - I will do my very best. :)

I have some nice seed to share and hope you will too.

Please let me know if you're in.

~Amanda

*********************************************************************************************
RESERVED FOR PARTICIPANTS:
(1) CheerMom (Sue G)
(2) Poisondartfrog (Alana)
(3) Kantzklan
(4) Lanakila
(5) Carolyn22
(6) LazLo
(7) Iowhen
(8) Cris316
(9) obliqua (Judy)
(10) Evelyn_in_the_Garden
(11) czimmerman00
(12) NisiNJ
(13) luvsgrtdanes (Ronnie)
(14) Domehomedee
(15) Bluespiral
(16) gardenseeder63
(17) mipii
(18) warriorswisdomkathy
(19) pfg (Pam)
(20) deejay9 (Susie)
(21) Muddy1 (Susan)
(22) Meadowyck (Jan)
(23)
(24)
(25)
etc . . ..

(photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons)

This message was edited Nov 2, 2013 9:50 AM

This message was edited Nov 5, 2013 11:41 PM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

only watching for now ..

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Good for you, Amanda! I'm glad you rose to the occasion!

I'm away until the end of October, and don't know what seed will be left in the garden by the time I get back. Can I wait until then to commit?

Good luck! :-)

Pam

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I want to participate!

Sue G

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

GM & Ty Amanda I Will have many seeds to DONATE to the robin Right now I don't know if i want to be in the robin for i still have many to plant for next season.
however there are some seeds I would like find if anyone can help me out .

I will list them here as I find the names of them.

#1 is castor Beans ZANZIBAR-YELLOW IMPALA- DEEP PURPLE -- PINK CARMENCITA
#2 ZINNIA'S

ANOTHER Great & Important Part of this type of ROBIN Is that the Players POST when the Robin Lands & Takes off .
well as i said I will be sharing many seeds to the robin also .

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Miss you Susie!
Amanda, thanks for continuing the tradition. Please sign me up.
Alana

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Good morning. :)

Susie I have the castor bean. I think (?!) they will be ready in time. It's the purple. Will get back to you asap on th genus/species.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Pam...of course you can. Oh! To be away from the garden for the whole month of October. :/

I hope you'll b going somewhere similarly spectacular like the Berkshires or White Mountains. :)

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Watching this thread.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Amanda that is great Now just want to find the ZANZIBAR they say the Leaves are very Large & I want to try to make a birdbath out of a leave mold .
its rainy today so here is what s sitting under my chair this afternoon , Nap Time for them ☺

Thumbnail by deejay9
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Watching too. I have some seeds I can donate but not sure I need any more to plant right now. Still thinking about it.

(Zone 7a)

Could commercial seed be allowed?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes Susie has always allowed commercial seed.

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5a)

I'd love to participate. Not really good with genus and species, but I can try
#1. Cleome or Spider plant
#2. Red hot poker
#3. Crocosmia - red

And some others I cannot remember. I've been wondering what to do with these. Thanks

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Welcome kantzklan. :D

I don't think we've had Kniphofia (red hot poker) in any of the trades I've participated in before. It's always great to get new/unusual species circulating in the Robin.

We can help you with names if you upload pictures.

Thanks!

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Actually, I'm in Venice this week, then headed for Istanbul. No gardens to speak of, but amazing sights!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Well I'm satisfied. ;)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Collected more 'Spanish Flag' seeds today (Ipomoea lobata). It was new for me this spring, and I loved it. So did the hummers!

Collected Gaillardia 'Burgundy,' R. hirta, R. hirta 'Prairie Sun', West Texas Mistflower (Conoclinium greggii), Sunset Hibiscus (Albemoscheutos sp.).

Will have lots of tropical milkweed from my own garden and collecting from others who grow it so I can share with others. In the spring I may just ship live plants to friends, family, acquaintances who have agreed to plant MW. If I put some in the Robin, I will ask each of you to accept a packet from me and plant a patch of milkweed to create habitat for Monarchs and their endangered migration.

Have to get out there and stake up some of my larger plants and collect as much seed as possible before the rain hits, if any.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I've never participated in one of these before, so just spectating for now.

I have a boatload of woody plant seeds - specifically (right now) Buckeye species, to whit:

**Aesculus pavia
**Aesculus parviflora
**Aesculus parviflora var. serotina

Also on board soon:

**Rhamnus caroliniana
**Viburnum rufidulum
**Ptelea trifoliata

Ask - and ye shall at least receive an answer, if I can find it. There are a lot of acorns from oak species around this fall, too. Of course, I grow a zillion viburnum selections here at the Valley and also many selections of Ilex verticillata.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

O, would love to have you participate with all your wonderful native plants!

It's a lot of fun, if you have any questions feel free to ask here or send me a dmail.

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Viburnum is on my list of needs. Would love to know more about them and their growth habits. I'm in zone 5. Do they flower, have berries, attract hummers and butterflies? Thanks I look forward to the exchange and learning lots more.

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Viburnum is on my list of needs. Would love to know more about them and their growth habits. I'm in zone 5. Do they flower, have berries, attract hummers and butterflies? Thanks I look forward to the exchange and learning lots more.

I planted regular old field milkweed and waited for all the hundreds of monarchs to flock to them, nothing! Do they lay eggs on it? Do they eat it? I didn't have any monarch activity on mine. Did I do something wrong? I'm passing along all of my pods to friends and neighbors here in PA.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

The Monarch plight is one near and dear to me, Kantzklan.

Their numbers have been so diminished in the last year or two by loss of habitat, crazed weather patterns, drought, etc., that their continued migration/existence is threatened. So no, you did not do anything wrong. It's just that even in places where hundreds of Monarchs used to flock people were hardly seeing any.

Don't plow that field of MW under! It could take years for them to come back to strength in numbers.

A recent article:

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/where-are-all-the-monarch-butterflies

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

The fewer Monarchs I see in August, the more MW's I plant the next season.

Are we sending all individual packs of seeds this year, or can we also send in a few larger packs of seeds from which people remove just what they need, as well?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I think it works either way, Alana.

As long as the seed is clearly labeled as stated.

I always have trouble getting the chaff off my seeds. Guilty guity. mmmm.

Something I have noticed in the past - when someone puts in a large bag of seed (either full of packets or a giant mass of seed) the writing on the bag gets smeared off the longer the robin pushes on.

If this applies to anyone here, please ensure to write the necessary information on a slip of paper inside your baggie so we can adhere to rule number 2, above. :D

A.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I'd like in. This is my absolute favorite swap. I'm going on a little driving trip this month so I will surely be coming back with some interesting seed that I find along the way. I have a deal with my hubby that for every three rock shops or botanical gardens we'll go to an air museum, LOL.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Sounds like a fair trade of time Dee. Can't wait to see what you bring back. :)

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

Put me on the Robin's route please. :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes Ma'am. :D

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

N00b here - this sounds interesting. How does it work?

I have freshly harvested Escholzia, Asclepias incarnata and dragon tongue beans.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey there...

A round robin starts when I (as your host) send out a box chock full of seed to TH first person on a predetermined route. The person that receives the box takes what she wants and adds what she can. Then she sends it on to the next person on the list and they do the same. We've had 30+ people on that list before. The box of seed eventually comes back to the host. Often there will be a second robin in the spring.

You're bound to have lot of questions your first time. Please post here or dmail any time. :)

I hope you will join us. It is so much fun. And the surprises in that box!!!

Athens, PA

Amanda

I have been thinking about doing this again - I have been out of things for quite a while.

Put me down please.

Carolyn

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Can Seed Santa sign up?

Thumbnail by LazLo
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Carolyn a.o.k.

Lazlo, I don't know. Can't get the bad taste out of my mouth about the post on the trading forum and what a cad you are. :P

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Okay, then, sign me up!

Athens, PA

Thank you Amanda

aka Carolyn44 ^_^

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

Amanda, can we get a haves/wants thread going? That'll leave this one for interest, not listing.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Sure thing Lanakila.

i'll get that up in the morning if you don't mind. Believe it or not this night owl has turned out the lights.

Welcome iowhen! You'll have a blast. :)

Carolyn, you're very welcome. As is LazLo. I hope I didn't scare him away with my sarcasm.

Nighty night. :D

Athens, PA

Quote from AmandaEsq :
Sure thing Lanakila.

I hope I didn't scare him away with my sarcasm.

The sarcasm has always been part of your charm!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.