FALL WEATHER IN YOUR GARDEN

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Well since it is officially fall I think we should have a new thread for the weather. Today here in Michigan we are currently having a thunder storm and supposed to be near 80.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy, we are expecting more rain later. This rain that's coming produced tornados in Iowa and Nebraska I believe. Going up to 79°f today. Got to get some work done early.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I wish I could work in the yard today but my nieces birthday party is from l to 4pm. I am going to be there all afternoon. It is actually supposed to rain here for the next 4 days.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy here is one just for you. http://www.daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi?cultivarsaunder20&1381004706

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Darn, I missed seeing what it was Mike.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy it was a daylily named Cindy's Eye.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Listed by "Blueridge". http://www.daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi?cultivarsaunder20&1382570574

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is a nice article by Ms. Lanny written in 2010 concerning her opinion on whites.
http://www.avaloniadaylilies.com/great%20white%20tetraploids.htm

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Good stuff ) all ..^_^

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh, ok, I have heard of that one. There is also one called Cindy's Tye Dye that is nice.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Woke up to 49°f this morning. Drizzling right now. Light rain expected thru the morning. Still have some plans in water. Got to catch up! LOL!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Been really nice here the past couple of weeks..................... been waking up to temps in the upper 40s to low 50s in the mornings and then getting to mid 70s during the days! Now, if I could just avoid going to work so I could stay home and get some things done! Of course, when I am home, most of my time is still being spent inside trying to get all the closets cleaned out and all the rooms deep cleaned to be able to show our house! I have come to the conclusion that I am a REALLY bad housekeeper and a that my husband and I are really big packrats!! We have emptied both his parents and my parents home since moving into this house and it shows! I have been so much time cleaning and sorting and throwing stuff away and I have SOOOO far to go! My goal was to be able to show the house at the beginning of the month - and I am still not there. I HOPE to be there after this week and weekend....... say a prayer for me! MAYBE I will make it........... :(

They are calling for a really bad winter on the radio.................. not looking forward to that! But the holidays will be upon us before we know it. I have already done a lot of my Christmas shopping (which only adds to the clutter of course) but I am not sure what the future holds and I can't dare wait to the last minute on all of it. SO I am trying to get a lot of it out of the way and as soon as I can get a chance, I will actually get a lot of them wrapped and stacked somewhere to get them out of the way! I won't have a clue what is in them by Christmas so I guess it will be a surprise for them and me! LOL

Have a great day everyone!!

Genna

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Killing frost last night. We are do for a bit (tiny) of warm up, so have a last chance of digging the last of the pots in. I think I missed a couple of months!!!!!
Marcia

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

motts1 Hi Marcia how's this? I posted this before on another thread ,
Yesterday #2
Today #1.. same plant , same bloom ....

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

:( I hate that.............. I know it has to come, but I sure hate to see the blooms be killed!

We had a fairly heavy frost night before last as well. I still have DLs to get dug and potted that I plan to move with me....... I need more time and more daylight ............not to mention WAYYYY more energy!! I can't get it all done fast enough!!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna keep chipping away. You will get it all done in time. Wish we were there as a group to give you a hand.
Still cold here. High temp yesterday is what we normally have around thanksgiving. Going up to 46°f today. Mid to high fifties coming this weekend. Sunny skies today. Still have a few more to put in the ground and take final bud counts on Autumn King and Genesta. I will start the bud count thread between today and tomorrow. Eye candies for the day. A link I stumbled on. She also have some unique seedlings. https://plus.google.com/photos/101587133532054103055/albums?banner=pwa

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Mike! I am sure everyone else is thankful they live too far away! LOL ...... the house is finally beginning to take shape on the inside. Not there yet, but at least I can finally see real progress and hope on the horizon. Hope to get some painting and some DL digging done this weekend if the weather holds.

It is a nippy low 50s out there now, and will be in the 40s tomorrow morning. But, it is still warming up to anywhere from 65 - 75 during the days so it makes for some nice working conditions outside, although most of my time has been spent indoors at either work or working here at home. We did burn a large brush pile last weekend, an old large playhouse that we pulled out of our back yard, and several bags of old bank statements, and other things that I didn't want to throw away. So at least we killed a couple of birds with one stone.

I had heard that the northern states were having temps way below normal. One forecast I heard for the winter said that the northern states were expected to have temps below normal from now until at least January.....then expected to warm up some which I thought sounded quite odd.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna, right now our temps are fifteen degrees below normal. Going up to forty four today.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh and it was such a pretty bloom juhur...A few nights of killing frost..still have plants to put in, but not a lot of energy. Supposed to warm up to 50 this weekend...so going to drink more cups of tea and get going!!!
When I went in to clinic yesterday..sunny...when I came out..fluffy snowflake blizzard for a few minutes.
Off to appt.
Marcia

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It's cold 45 degrees here waiting to do my winter sow , suppose to be in the 60's a couple more days next week , with rain when it warms up of course , routine here ,
Then or just after I will try to get some wintersow done ,
From way back when , I still have a small plant growing now of one of the Pufferfish Daylily , I'm still interested in seeing it bloom (live before my eye .
I'm still fishing around for a white Daylily , I have so much to do , it will wait .. Trying that for an eventual (moon garden) setting .
Much better than last years drought ,,

Thank you mott1 Dahlia are gaining in some popularity , (happens every few years .

Sigh remembering apple blossom time ... Ain't it mean,,lol

Thumbnail by juhur7
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I love dahlia's but I sure have horrible luck with them.....can't seem to keep them alive!! :(

It is mid 50s and sun shine here today. There is a little nip in the air....calling for a hard frost tonight throughout the state. Not ready for winter - but it is coming, ready or not!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Geeze, I haven't been on much and they made me relog in. Haven't done that in ages.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Are you feeling better, Cindy? Hope you are back to 100% by now!

I still have not gotten my DLs potted up out of my beds! I am quickly running out of time! :( Just trying to get things done on the inside so i start showing the house..... and it has been a major under taking! I keep hauling boxes to Goodwill, and bags to the dumpster and eventually things are bound to look better! Slowly but surely I am marking rooms off the list. Almost have my husband's study ready to mark off the list, and my sewing room is FINISHED! Including the large walk in closet in there!!! It was MAJOR - and took parts of several different days but I am thankful to have it looking very nice! The game room is the last major room to mark off the list - and I worked in the closet in there today which means I made more of a mess than I cleaned up, but it will start looking better as I begin putting things away and getting it all in order. LOL - I have to make more of a mess first it seems. I will start advertising the house this coming week..... I hope to get DLs potted up this week after work - but with it getting dark so early, not sure I will get that done and they are calling for temps below freezing toward the end of the week..... A lot of mine are evergreens but a few go dormant, or are semi evergreen and they will be hard to deal with once the tops die back. I had wanted them done weeks ago - but the inside and the minor repairs, etc had to take top priority. :( Hopefully i will be able to get them potted up to take with me.

It ended up being a nice day here although it was pretty cool this morning. It warmed up nicely this afternoon and I was able to get some primer on some things outside - and some sealer on some things. We seem to be on a roller coaster with back and forth temps - today it hit probably 72 or so..... but they are calling for highs in the low 50s toward the end of the week with lows below freezing. And we wonder why everyone is sick....... not to mention the ragweed everywhere!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna, glad to hear that things are coming along slowly but surely. Saw your post on the daylily swap thread. After you move and get settled, if you need some more plants for the new gardens let me know. I will be dividing some next year. I can send you a list then of all my extras.
Woke up to 25°f this morning. Got a little snow overnight. Heard some parts of Indiana and Michigan got a good dose of lake effect snow. Low fifties coming this weekend. Just got to get by this high of 34° today. LOL!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

last night here;

Slipping ,sliding , today ,this morning ;
Mustard plant still blooming yesterday ' says it all . (let the imagination ;a minute)

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Mike! I sure hope we have a new place by Spring! I will be ready to dig in the dirt and do something fun for sure by then!!

It was 24 here this morning! :( Everything pretty much bit the dust with that type of temp drop. It got up to low 50s today. Supposed to be gradually warming all week with temps in the upper 60s this weekend - at least that is what they are saying now. Always subject to change of course! So maybe I will be where I can pot up DLs this weekend. I plan to put them in pots and put them up close to the house under the eave. they will have to be watered occasionally there but hopefully they will survive the lower temps there with no problems. It is frustrating considering I just got most of them in the ground last spring.......now here i am needing to take them back out! Man, if I had ONLY known, I would have just left them in the pots!! My sister said i would get them all potted up and things would change and we would end up staying here, but I don't think that is going to happen. It would almost be worth doing all that digging to get to stay! Not to mention, my house is nice and clean for the holidays! LOL

juhur be careful on that slippery stuff! and KEEP it up there please!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

We are expecting close to sixty five for Sunday and then the bottom drop out again. LOL!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Yep - this is like the rollercoaster we were on in the Spring! Same song....just a different verse! ^_^

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Saying a prayer for all those devastated by the tornados yesterday. It was unseasonable hot here yesterday with temps in the low 80s! After having lows in the 20s early last week. I hope that all our DG friends are safe!! It looked like there were storms everywhere!!

This message was edited Nov 18, 2013 1:04 PM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna, some touch down within ten miles of my home. It was terrible. Lots of destruction. They are reporting six deaths so far.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh Mike - so sorry they were so close to home! I heard them listing several town names on the news but since I didn't know where any of them were it didn't help me much as far as knowing who might have been in danger. So glad that you are safe and sound - hope all your family is as well! Here in Arkansas we are very familiar with the massive destruction they are capable of....... it is unbelievable how much damage they can do in just a few minutes. My heart aches every time I see the destruction on the news!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I can not imagine what it is like to loose everything in one fell swoop. That's heartbreaking to say the least.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Genna. Yes I am feeling much better. Hoping to get my carpet shampooed today as soon as the daughter wakes up. Can't do much till she gets up.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

It's cold around here with one inch of snow expected today. Still have tender plants to dig up. Better get going.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Cindy, glad to hear you are feeling better!

Well, day before yesterday it was 81 here..... today it is 33! with rain falling and temps dropping. They are calling for sleet and freezing rain......................my nephew supposed to be getting married an hour away tomorrow and rehearsal dinner tonight. Not sure I will be able to get to either one! :(

Hope everyone is warm and safe!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Cold here, about 28 with an ice storm just south of us. Hoping it decides not to come any farther north.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

hemlady .. Not to worry!!! today & tonight as last night ,, It is visiting here , ,,lol
We will see about tomorrow!

Rained straight down , only looking like pretending to be snow . Wet , mucky ,slushy .icky , stuff ... boooooo ......

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Wyoming, MN

My high for the day was 2 had about 6" of snow earlier in the week.

Gary

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Well it certainly isn't going to snow today. We have complete blue skies today. Must be cold out though. I think the snow is coming in on Sunday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.