My sunroom nears completion!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's the garden window side of my new, improved sunroom!
The gentleman is the carpenter who installed the windows. I waited all summer for these windows to get here!
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oooh that is exciting, Martha!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We have a room that was (we think) a porch when the house was first built in the 1950s, but at some point it was insulated and walls added and teeny tiny invisible window were added. It's not on the same heating as the rest of the house; it has baseboard heating. I would LOVE to get big huge windows put in instead and have it be my plant room.

Martha, how is your room insulated? This porch/room I'm talking about had a crawl space underneath which might make it colder.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

The floor is fieldstone set into a concrete slab. We completely demolished the old room so the walls and roof are built to code now with 2x6 construction and proper insulation. This room already was connected to our oil/hot air heating system. The windows let in so much sun that too much heat isn't required. The windows are, of course, modern double paned. The garden window has crank out side windows for ventilation.
I love it. I am going to start the painting tomorrow.
Martha

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

EXCITING!

Thomaston, CT

Very nice, Martha.....a welcome room during the endless winter!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

What fun it will be to fill it with plants!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

first I must fill it with paint. I got the primer on the woodwork yesterday. I am going to prime the plaster walls and ceiling later today. It's really coming together.
Martha

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Fresh beginnings are invigorating.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Update: I finished the painting on the walls of the sunroom yesterday. Today I began hand scrubbing the fieldstone floors to get the little paint drips off and because when it was getting wet in the old sunroom, it got a little moldy. So the floor gets a disinfectant bath. The electrician is coming in next week to put the lights and the outlets and switches in. Brian and I have been having breakfast in there every morning for the last two weeks!
Martha

Thomaston, CT

Great place for that! Love them in the winter sunshine!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Great progress, Martha! I love an empty room for a while before it fills up, though I'm sure the plants will be great too.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Very good point!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

things are nearing completion. my storm door arrived last Friday and the men will over to install it tomorrow and then finish the siding, down spout and a little bit of woodwork. i have to put the waterproof stain in the wood brackets outside and the floor of the garden window and finish painting the rest of the GW woodwok and trim. then the plants can come in and live in their new home!
Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.