Need help with ailing Pindo Palm

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have been traveling quite a bit the last year and have decided to settle in for the winter and renew my interest in gardening again. When I was inspecting the condition of my landscaping I discovered my Pindo palm is not doing very well. Does anyone know what this is and what the remedy might be?

Thumbnail by Dann_L Thumbnail by Dann_L Thumbnail by Dann_L
Phoenix, AZ

I don't even know what a Pindo palm is? Hope someone can help.

Dolan Springs, AZ(Zone 9a)

Looked it up, Butia capitata, ..... And I wonder if thats the fruit I've seen before all over sidewalks? I wish I'd known they were so yummy! Now that's riff raff, munching free food off the street!

Mesa, AZ

Not a clue.... but I would check (if it is on a drip system) to make sure it is getting the proper amount of water. Since the weather is changing, it is a good time to feed it palm tree food.

That's all I can think of....

Susie

Phoenix, AZ

No clue. But if you search pindo palm yellow leaves on google will see lot of info.
Brown leaf tips is usually not enough water. And yellowing is too much water or needing nutrients.
When was the last time you fertilized it ?

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

I usually fertilize all the palms about 3 times a year however I was out of town quite a bit this past spring and didn't get it done. I just fertilized again so maybe that will cure the problem. Thanks to all for your input.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

lurking around this morning and came across this thread. it looks to me like your Pindo has "frizzle top", a condition arising from lack of manganese (not magnesium). it is a condition common to many palms. i've not seen it in a Pindo before but i live in florida where the soils are different from AZ.

i would feed with a good palm or citrus (yes) feed and then buy some extra manganese.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I agree with trackinsand. It is a lack of manganese. Many Queen Palms in the Phoenix area have the same problem. You definitely need palm food, but also extra manganese. Ask at a good garden center.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.