October 2013 Shorter Days & Longer Nights

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I was holding off to see if someone else would start this month, but I've waited long enough. I have to give Pepper extra credit for starting the RU thread. I'm excited!!!!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I've put up 4 more quarts of pear sauce and made 4 dozen oat pear muffins. Tomorrow I'll be cooking to use up extra jalapenos and tomatoes. I still have buckets more of pears to pick and put up. Harvest time is wearing me out!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

GB I get tired just thinking about all you do...holey moley.

Here is a perfect day:
1. wake up and figure out the alarm did not go off (seems I ok'd an update to the OS on the phone and it did the update and then shut itself off).
2. Rushing around manage to slide down the stairs....into a pile at the bottom. I am sure that was a great look.
3. Finally get in the car, get stuck in a horrible traffic jam sitting still, going to call saying I will be late, only to find out the new OS will not let me use the phone! really?
4. Get to the front door right as both bosses arrive, you know I can't get away with anything, I have always been that way, so I don't even try, but have the hit the front door exactly at the same time they do....gimme a break!
5. Then figure out in my rushing around, falling down the stairs , getting stuck in trafic, and meeting the bosses, I forgot my purse! No ID, No money, No nothing, No nada......... So it's not friday the 13th, not a full moon, no planets aligned in improper spacing, just an ordinary dayin my life.....rofl!

Hope yours was great... ;)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Happ Indeed but) Aren't ordinary days extremely Wonderful !!!^_^?
Just came by to say HI and update to the thread.
Still doing cuttings , more pic;s in a while .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Extremely wonderful once they are over!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

hg, My mornings are more relaxed. Leave around 6:40 to walk 5 blocks to catch the bus around 6:50. I love walking thru my neighborhood this time of day. Party on the bus all the way in. We are a fun bunch! Get there 15 minutes early to get my coffee & put away lunch, etc.... and start at 7:30 before anyone else arrives. I hope that your mornings get better. : )

This message was edited Oct 3, 2013 3:48 AM

This message was edited Oct 3, 2013 3:49 AM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Happ, that's a typical non work day for me. lol.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

The rain is coming down now. Sorry, I haven't been on much, just working at my new temp job.
http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast The 40% chance has turned into a one hundred percent chance here! I figure Saturday will be the day to bring in non-hardies here, Sun. it says a low of 39°, though that changes, it will probably still be cold around there, that's when the temperature drops.

I hope to get to my tenders tomorrow and bring them in. Today I got my jap maples planted and just finished a bit ago for the night. Tomorrow I finish cleaning up and mulch. Hopefully I remember to take pics too.

Only have about 3 left to bring in. Went to a car show tonight so I didn't get anything done.
It sure was warm. Hard to imagine it will get so cold....

Will I was wondering if you were working...temp is better than nothing for sure.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Mine are still outside , another week , maybe ? before all of your weather gets here , it is coming though .
Planted another Rue plant , cleaned a few seeds , got a few things done , planning more ..
Having thought about grasses and weeds and when I will put a concrete pole in to hold up a sunflower plant . Poles done , length to thickness needs a change though . (still)
The only thing that looked right all year were the aster and zinnia combo ..

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm still picking and canning pears. I'm hoping to get my life back soon. LOL

Yeah, working an ol' temp job. It's funny how unemployment generally works, I'd say 80 to 90% of the available jobs are pretty physically demanding jobs, nobody really cares for them and the, umm, not good pay. But for getting or staying in shape it really can't be beat there, it's either do the work or they get somebody else and your back to being out of a job. Shoot, I might move to California just to pick strawberries or whatnot. They said on the news that they might have to start hiring U.S. citizens because undocumented workers aren't in good supply like they used to be, about half of the fruit in their fields are spoiling. I guess migrant workers don't come for fear they'd just be sent back home. I'm not sure I could pick fruit as good as migrant workers do, but I might catch on after a year or so. I'm thinking that I wouldn't be able to afford a house in CA., I might need to find about 15 other people to go in on an apartment or a house perhaps. Yeah, if the rain we got comes there East you guys will be basking in good ol' rain! Yes, it's been unbelievably warm. Kinda like last year, but of course not as hot, it went from about 100° to 40° in about a week here if I remember, last year, it was quite odd.

Personally, I feel guilty about saying that I can only afford gas to a Kansas City RU. My finances aren't doing too well, though I'd try to travel whereever anyway. It's not your guys' fault that my finances aren't well. I'd even say let's have it at that Liberty Park in Sedalia like Spring 2007, I might be able to swing that. This forum is too good and with so much interest and popularity from like-minded people to go without Roundups. We would love to have people come that only lurk here too, everybody is welcome. The usual participants are people like everybody else and we love gossip! Bring a plant and a good yarn and you're guaranteed to have a good time! Oh, and I can tell a story, they might be pitiful stories, but they're stories none-the-less, I just need listeners!
I say come one come all! Anyway, that shelter at that park in Sedalia worked out well, it even had public bathrooms. I'll try to get my vote in pepper's thread on a location, it'd be either KC or Sedalia for me I think, anyway about a hundred mile drive max, anywhere, one way.

Will you can't bank on the future from today, heck darn you could have a full time job by then, and some of us others be in an entirely different spot.... ya just never know about the future.

Very true happ!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Agreed ....

From today Solanum Dulcamera
Bittersweet ;the American Nightshade vine .
Eat this one and your a spirit !!!

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, my job was temp for the 1st 16 months and I've been at it since 01/02/96. You never know what can come out of a temp job.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My view of the world for the past few weeks. (LOL) I'm getting ready to pick again before the rain hits. Then, I'll be making more pear sauce. I'm also going to the senior homes here in Madison to pass out bags of pears.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

Wow, that's some Pears, green. That's nice to go to retirement homes and give them away. I remember when I took 2 peaches to my grandparents' about a month ago they were very eager to eat them. They said they were going to fight over this one big one that was about the size of an apple. I have a friend with one in his backyard, maybe I'll go get some and do that.

great iddea gb.....

Yeah, I'm not too sure about what the prospects are on a permanent job at this place. I think I found out it's "temp seasonal" which doesn't sound good. One guy who's last day was yesterday because he got another job says he thinks the chance of getting on permanently at this place is about 5 maybe 10% at most. Even jobs that pretty much suck aren't hiring many people.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement on temp work, yeah, you never really know. I've had temp jobs in the past that could've led to something real nice, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Yeah, not eating no Nightshade berries! I believe that's what kills some livestock.
Will

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Nicole and I gave away 76 pears to the seniors and they were very grateful. One woman said how glad she was that we weren't letting the fruit rot on the ground like the neighbor down the street. Nicole painstakingly sorted through the pears picking out the best ones while I washed, dried, and packed them into gift bags lined with tissue. We have a nice bunch of seniors living in this tiny community. I noticed one apartment had a potted coleus on a patio table that had fallen over. I sat it up and the soil was pretty dried out. I hope that today's rain took care of it.

I took some funny before and after photos of my metal rolling cart that is my Winter-time structure. It houses many non-hardy plants, it even features 3 shop-lites! By before and after I just mean before it was filled up and after it was filled up, pics 1, 2 and 3.

Hi Green, it was like Christmas there, you guys were like Santas or elves taking presents to them!
I'm sure they loved it! I'm pretty sure some residents at nursing and/or retirement homes don't get many visitors.

Pics 4 and 5 are just some random photos of my plants indoors now, and how about my Cactus/succulent aquarium?!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I think that Bothwell Lodge looks good, it is something of a castle, the place has an interesting history. Thanks pepper for the research and racking your brain!

Today, I spent awhile gathering up and bringing into the garage my non-hardy plants such as houseplants. Also, that Bamboo you sent me, green, has an encouraging green color to it, (no pun intended..lol)! That root you sent me may resemble enuff of a division to get with the program and go ahead and grow into something. Here's that Arundinaria Gigantea (native, Canebrake Bamboo)
root you sent me, (in the flattish red saucer-like red clay pot, 1st pic). That's it, the lighter green thing in the soil.

Here is the non-hardies that I gathered up before I brought them in, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th pics. -
I need to do more posts because of all my photos. I can be a picture taking sonofathing!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, maybe the canebrake will eventually take off. Mine did nothing for the first year or so. I had planted periwinkle several years ago and thought that it hadn't lived. Then, recently it appeared in one corner of the yard and has really taken off this year. I guess some plants take a while to get established. I admire your patience. I probably give up too soon some times.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Happy Monday to all! We are already starting the 2nd week of October.

Temps are really cool here right now and clear. My hubby has the heat on, but his blood is pretty thin so I haven't complained. I hope to accomplish quite a bit in the yard this week. I cleared my kitchen of pears over the weekend and gave it a good scrubbing. Off to work now.

Take care and I hope you all are experiencing agreeable weather right now too.

I have my tenders inside and I need to buy a spray bottle to make up dish soap and water to kill bugs that may be on leaves. I would have done it today but ended up going to a local pumpkin patch with a friend. lol

Weather is gogeous once sun comes up. lol

Thanks Betty. Yeah, I hope the A. Gigantea grows, even if it takes it's time.
Mid to upper 70's even this week here. Just got home from work a while ago, manual labor is much fun!
Will

Now Will gardening is manual labor and none of us mind it....rofl.

Hope everyone is having a great week. Now that everything is put up I am watering like a crazy person...this happens every year after I bring everything in the outside temp warms up and the plants are thirsty since they are indoors.

I have a bloom coming on what I think is a Crinium but not sure. It is a huge plant, the bud looks like an Amaryllis . This is my first bloom on this plant....excited.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Yes gardening sure is manual labor, although I enjoy it more.
I hope your plant blooms before it gets too cold. I was just musing at how my Cannas never bloomed , if they bloom yet, they better hurry!

I finally have my citronella cut way back and everything in front of my window except my meezo. I still need to spray them but I gotta find my spray bottle or get a new one. lol.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The coppertina "Ninebark has new leaves today . I will get pics in a few days ,
Manuel labor was a much more meditative when younger , somehow as one ages , it ain't the same !
Kind of cooling for fall . Nice ,, Only I'm not looking forward to Winter , I will probably type that a million times before spring , lol So try and cover the old ears ,if you can.. lol
Oh I set a larger part of one of the cement poles today , going to hold up maximillion Sunflower next season , That a maybe a flowering bean vine on the Sunflower , Something like that ..
You all have a nice evening ..

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Did I tell you that a volunteer canna came up in my blackberry patch and bloomed? That was pretty cool!

I'm off work tomorrow to help chaperone my grand-daughter's class field trip at the Magic House. The weather is going to be very pleasant. The Spring trip to Cahokia Mounds was cold and rainy. In case you've never heard of the Magic House in St. Louis, here's a link.
http://www.magichouse.org/

I was downloading photos off my camera to free memory for tomorrow and found these old pics: volunteer spiderworts, the stray cat that we feed and call "Black Beauty", our 18 year cat Jake hiding in a paper bag.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

I haven't seen my 'Coppertina' Ninebark close lately. I haven't been back there much but only to water and get my tender plants in the other day.

A volunteer Canna would be a nice surprise. I like the volunteer Spiderworts too. I got a Spiderwort from leaflady a long time ago, I had it for years but it succumbed to all the moving I did I think.
I believe that I got it from her at the Spring 07' RU.

I'm up late but I don't go to work till tomorrow afternoon.

Good to hear from you ju, was starting to think you went on a Bahama vacation without saying anything!

I oughta stop and say hi to pepper at work sometime, I now work about 1/2 mile from where she works.
Will

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, so I need to bring a spiderwort to the Spring 2014 roundup. I should start making a list now.

There you go ju! A Bahama vacation this winter with Will.

I'm preparing to leave on the school field now and need to pack my pbj sandwich. I hear that's what my grand-daughter is taking. Usually, I eat a salad. I figure that I'll need the extra calories today. I probably should eat a heartier breakfast too.

I hope you all are enjoying this pleasant weather. We're also going to the park for lunch after the Magic House. Wilson Park in Granite City borders the high school grounds and has a nicely landscaped formal garden. I was born & raised in Granite City (1973 GCHS grad), so this is one of my favorite and most familiar city parks. It also has a nice owl population and a couple of rose gardens; along with woodland gardens, formal flower, shrub, and bulb gardens, and many nice water features. This would also be a good spot for a future Roundup; maybe Fall 2014 or Spring 2015? Also, see "history".
http://www.park.granitecity.com/wfapp/park?ACTION=Node&NodeID=131

There's also Horseshoe Lake and Cahokia Mounds nearby. We have a couple of good family owned nurseries, Sugarloaf and Garden Kingdom. Just an idea.

I've got to run now. Have a great day!

Sure, thanks Betty, I'd love to have a Spiderwort again. I got this one awhile back and I sure would like another one. Leaflady's is at this thread down at a March 13th, 2007 post. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/697815/

Yeah, I'd go to the Bahamas, but I'm afraid I have no money, so I'd be one of the aforesaid moochers! Besides, I don't think ju's other half would like that much!

Those locations sound like a fine St. Louis area Roundup spot, I think I'd have to do a carpool on that.

Yes, everybody have a nice day, mid 70's for a high, beautiful day.
Will

I'm up for a St. Louis RU also. That's an easy drive, at least til you get to St. Louis! LOL

Here is that Arundinaria Gigantea (native, Canebrake Bamboo) that greenbrain (Betty) sent me.
It appears to be looking alive down under the soil, nothing yet above the soil line. I'll link to it also so you can see it bigger. - http://home.comcast.net/~metalglove/pwpimages/100_2744.JPG
There's the Nanking Cherry cutting that green sent me also. It doesn't look as good, it shows no life, but it DOES have a Mimosa volunteer in it, anybody want it? The pot next to it out of the photo (left) also has a Mimosa volunteer in it, anybody want it? I can bring them to a Spring Roundup, no problem if anybody does, or I can mail them before that, no thing.

Can I interest anyone in a cactus from cuttings, Prickly-Pear is one and Chainlink Cholla is the other, they both poke good. -

How about striped Wondering Jews from cuttings I can start? - It's the purple one, it's a biggun'

Anybody want a Spiderplant baby? - The mother plant is huge and some babies on it have roots on the order of about an inch long. - Some of the babies themselves are like full grown plants about a foot long.
Will

I can attest to those cacti poking. Both the ones I got from you did a really nice pair of gloves I had in. Had to throw them away and it probably took a week to get the spines to work their way out of my skin. lol

Eeek, sorry about that, but it IS a little funny now, that was the Fall 09' RU. I did that before I learned and I had so many needles in me that I couldn't sleep, it hurt to just lay in bed! I remember I carried a big barrel of a big plant, bear-hug style, and I had needles in my belly and in my chest, my arms, my hands. I remembered I found out duct tape will take out a lot of them, but it took a while for them all to come out, that was a painful lesson! Just curious, are any of them still alive? Or after that, did you decide it might be best to not have, (they are quite nasty to be around..lol)! Did you curse it pretty thoroughly?! lol

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.